Saturday, April 12, 2014

[2014.04.13] DANIEL WU IS A BEST ACTOR FAVORITE NEXT YEAR


courtesy of on.cc

courtesy of mingpao.com

The Hong Kong Film Award takes place tonight, among the numerous awards the Best Actor competition was the fiercest. Two favorites UNBEATABLE (GIK JIN)'s Nick Cheung Ka Fai battle THE GRANDMASTER (YUT DOI JUNG SI)'s Tony Leung Chiu Wai. They each hold their own and make huge sacrifices for the production. Cheung Ka Faitrained hard for his muscular merman line, while Leung Chiu Wai practiced Wing Chun until he broke his arm.

Cheung Ka Fai lately has been promoted his new film THAT DEMON WITHIN (MOR GAING) nonstop. He, Daniel Wu (Ng Yin Cho), Dominic Lam Ka Wa and director Dante Lam Chiu Yin spoke with Cable and discussed the production. Ka Fai said that in THAT DEMON WITHIN he was "evil to the end". He said, "My character has no mercy, kindness or humanity at all." Speaking of Ng Yin Cho's regret for having less scenes with Ka Fai, Ka Fai said, "Although we were not together often, we had a lot of spark and led the entire film's development."

Ng Yin Cho this year although was not nominated for a Hong Kong Film Award, he revealed that Albert Yeung Sau Sing and Lam Chiu Yin both picked him for an award with THAT DEMON WITHIN next year. He said, "They said that I would win for sure, but I wouldn't think like that. I am afraid that would affect my performance. I only want to satisfy the director's and my own demands. If I win it will be a bonus." Ng Yin Cho put in a lot of hard work for his character. Aside from losing 30 pounds, he even interviewed schizophrenics for an understanding of their state of mind and pain.

The handsome Daniel Wu (Ng Yin Cho) appeared on a Cable television program Film Montage and said that he felt honored to work with director Dante Lam Chiu Yin again on the Emperor Motion Picture THAT DEMON WITHIN (MOR GAING). "I have improved from back then. The director is also more mature and has his own style." Director Lam joked that back then he did not let Daniel thoroughly perform. When they worked together again, he believed that they set off a lot of sparks.

Daniel broke through his acting and played a deeply distressed cop in THAT DEMON WITHIN, in order to play the role well he put in a lot of hard work. "Earlier I interviewed a guy with schizophrenia and understood his mental condition. I not only lost over 30 pounds but also had to maintain negative state of mind for several months. It was very painful."

Aside from challenging the limits of acting, Daniel even revealed that one scene "upset" him very much. "In one scene I reacted to the news of Granny's passing, a scene that was shot straight through for several minutes. The camera was in front of my tank top, but it wasn't too steady. So the cinematographer asked me to prop it up with my hands. I was very mad immediately, how could you want me to hold up a camera while performing an emotional collapse? However I couldn't decline it, so I just did it. Luckily it only took two takes."

No comments:

Post a Comment