Thursday, October 1, 2009

[2009.10.02] ANG LEE CAN CARE LESS ABOUT BOX OFFICE

Tony Leung Chiu Wai, Ang Lee
courtesy of singtao.com
Karena Lam Ka Yun

Chan Chi Chung, Josie Ho Chiu Yi
A.Lin, DaDa, Annie G. and Hailey C.
courtesy of mingpao.com

courtesy of takungpao.com

The Ang Lee directed film TAKING WOODSTOCK premiered two nights ago in Hong Kong. Guests included Tony Leung Chiu Wai, Karena Lam Ka Yun, Mr. and Mrs. Raymond Chow Man Wai, Yonfan, Josie Ho Chiu Yi and husband Chan Chi Chung, HotCha, Chin Kar Lok and young models A.Lin, DaDa and others. Ang Lee looked tired, was he ill? He said, "I already feel much better." Earlier WOODSTOCK's U.S. box office was only average, Ang Lee said. "I think the next one will be better, I hope the next one will be better. I don't want to analyze the reason and I am not sure what it is. I like this movie very much, I am very proud of it. I don't know whether it is an attraction issue." Ang Lee explained that he did not mind its box office as he only wanted to make a light film. He said, "I don't lack off with my movies, I made it very seriously."

Ang Lee worked with Wai Jai on LUST, CAUTION. Lately Leung Chiu Wai is working on Wong Kar Wai's film THE GRAND MASTER (YUT DOI JUNG SI). Ang Lee said, "Wai Jai can play anyone, he is the best actor. I feel that his movie should be different from (Donnie) Yen Chi Tan's. I look forward to Wai Jai's performance very much because it has Wong Kar Wai and Lord Eight (Yuen Woo Ping) as action director." Earlier Zhang Ziyi was rumored to play Mrs. Ip Man. Ang Lee said, "I don't know, I haven't heard about that."

Leung Chiu Wai two nights ago attended the premiere alone. He expressed that his injury has healed. Now he is training everyday. He said that his wife Carina Lau Ka Ling was not in Hong Kong so she did not attend. When asked whether Zhang Ziyi will play Ip Man's wife, He said that he did not know. For now he has not looked for the film. Did he feel Zhang Ziyi would be suitable for the role? He also said that he did not know. Each person has different effect.

Wai Jai expressed that originally he had the chance to watch WOODSTOCK at Cannes but he had to work. Will he work with Ang Lee again? He said, "I don't know, Ang Lee has many foreign films to make." As for WOODSTOCK's average U.S. box office, Wai Jai said, "That's hard to say. The most important thing to me in filmmaking is the fun process. I can't predict box office or audience preference. Most importantly I can do whatI want to do. Anything extra is extra surprise." Lam Ka Yun honestly said that she has always admired Ang Lee and looked forward to the chance to work with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment