Saturday, March 10, 2012

[2012.03.11] ANDY LAU CAUSES A STIR AT BOOK SIGNING

courtesy of singtao.com

A SIMPLE LIFE (TOH JEN) opened in the Mainland on March 8 and made a mad 16 million yuan at the box office.  The film followed tightly with openings in Taiwan and Hong Kong two days ago.  Hong Kong's box office two days ago already approached 1.9 million, the best performer among films of the same week; as for Taiwan, after half a day it already made NT$3.5 million.

Leads Deanie Ip Tak Han and Andy Lau Tak Wa two days ago went their separate ways, as Ip Tak Han and director Ann Hui On Wa attended the Hong Kong Film Festival in Malaysia.  "Malaysia Son in Law" Lau Tak Wa perhaps in order to avoid being asked about his family chose to promote in Taipei on the same day and held an autograph session for his new book MY 30 WORKING DAYS: A SIMPLE LIFE PRODUCTION DIARY.

Lau Tak Wa's A SIMPLE LIFE Taiwan promotion worked, as on the first half of its opening day it made NT$3.5 million.  Yesterday he attended a book autograph session, over 500 fans came in support.  He said, "When I turn 80 I want to make an idol series, to be an idol who never ages!"  Fans responded enthusiastically.  When asked whether he was willing to marry his female fans as wives?  Lau Tak Wa joked, "Would that violate laws against polygamy?"  He also joked, "I am too old, physically I can't."

Promoting in Malaysia, Ip Tak Han was reluctant to talk much about Lau Tak Wa's impending fatherhood.  "Wa Jai doesn't want to promote the film with good news".  However, Ip Tak Han was willing to reveal something from her life with Lau Tak Wa.  "We talk about everything, we especially like to study renovation.  We would enthusiastically discuss what kind of paint and material to use, then we would discuss what to eat."  In the film Sister Peach due to a stroke had to reside in a senior home.  Ip Tak Han felt that back then too many seniors resigned to their fate, unlike current seniors who knew how to plan for themselves.  "In the future when I get old I will insist against living in a senior home, because I absolutely can't accept sharing a room with someone.  I love to control my own time, I hope to be able to do what I want to do.  If one day I
can't take care of my own hygiene, I would choose euthanasia.  Someone without dignity doesn't work!  I may not be able to choose when I was born, but I can choose when I die!  Haha, aren't I scary?"

A SIMPLE LIFE is another summit in Ip Tak Han's career.  She felt that in the future she will not have another peak because few can daringly invest in drama like Lau Tak Wa.  At her age, she will not be able to attract film companies either.  Reportedly director Hui On Wa was interested in a prequel.  Ip Tak ha joked, "I worry that due to wrinkles I can't make it!"

2 comments:

  1. Hi there --

    Thanks for your translations over the years. Really appreciate it.

    With Malay/Malaysia though, please note that Malay is an ethnicity while Malaysia a country. I think you meant to write Malaysia in place of Malay in this entry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the correction. We will keep that in mind in the future!

      Delete