Friday, January 10, 2014

[2014.01.11] WHITNEY HUI IS SUSPECTED OF "PIRACY"


Both Barbie Liu and Jeana Ho take shots at Whitney Hui
Wilson Chin asks everyone to back off
courtesy of on.cc
courtesy of mingpao.com

Whitney Hui Yik Nei was the lead actress in the film LAN KWAI FONG 3 (HEI OI YEH PO 3) and has shown her support at the cinema many times. Perhaps she was excessively excited as she took a photo of the screen inside the cinema with her phone and posted it online. She completely forgot that recording was strictly prohibited inside the cinema. Some reminded Hui Yik Nei of the danger of violating copyright laws. She immediately removed the photo and even pleaded with everyone for their forgiveness.

Hui Yik Nei actively promoted LAN KWAI FONG 3 and went to see it many times. Yesterday morning at 3AM, she posted 3 photos online of a 9:55PM ticket stub from the night before and of the screen inside the cinema. One was of a scene in which she and Jason Chan Pak Yu talked. Hui Yik Nei wrote, "Last night I went to see LAN 3 again and actually was at the same show as (Ava) Yu Kiu, I didn't know until after the show. Good, I am going again tonight for a chance to be at the same show, Yeah!" She was rather excited. She seemed to have forgotten Simon Yat Wa in a Customs officer costume pointing at the camera and saying "You are still recording?"

Some online reminded Hui Yik Nei might be breaking the law. Hui Yik Nei then removed the photo. Shawn Yue Man Lok has done so before and also immediately removed it. Hui Yik Nei said, "I am very scared! I know that I can't record video at the cinema, but I don't know that I can't take pictures either. I took the phone without any knowledge of that, sorry. I won't do it again, please forgive me for being young and naive."

Whether taking a photo inside the cinema was illegal remained a gray area still. According to the Prevention of Copyright Piracy Ordinance, anyone with recording equipment in a public entertainment venue without legal permission or reasonable explanation is breaking the law. The first violation can be fined up to HK$5,000, further violations can lead to HK$50,000 fine and 3 months in prison. The Superior Court still has no precedence on whether mobile phones are considered recording equipment. In 2009 and 2011 there were cases when the plaintiffs were found guilty for recording with mobile phones at the cinema.

Earlier rumored to be at odds with her, "Inch Mouth Barbie" Ha Wai Yu said, "That's funny. Before the show they show a video to tell people not pirate, maybe she didn't mean to. It is her first lead after all, she appreciated her own performance too much. Just treat it like promotion for the film." Yu Kiu supported Hui Yik Nei. "So careless? I will remind her next time. Actually earlier when we went to an audience appreciation event, I was the impulse to take a photo. Luckily in the end I didn't!" Co-star Jeana Ho Pui Yu said, "Maybe it's her first film, she is just nervous about her performance. If next time she is with me, I will confiscate her phone first."

Director Wilson Chin Kwok Wai said, "Her photos originally were meant for me. She wanted to say she watched it three or four times and was very supportive of the film. She is a little girl, this time she didn't mean to. Real piracy involves profit, she did not gain anything from what she did. I hope everyone would spare her."

No comments:

Post a Comment