Wednesday, October 4, 2023

[2023.10.04] JENNIFER YU BREAKS TABOO OVER HER FIRST GOLDEN HORSE BEST ACTRESS NOMINATION

IN BROAD DAYLIGHT's Jennifer Yu has a Golden Horse Awards Best Actress nomination
courtesy of on.cc

Jennifer Yu gets congratulatory kisses from her mother and her daughter
courtesy of singtao.com


Jennifer Yu says that while in post pregnancy confinement she cannot cry, but she cannot help but get emotional over her nomination

Chung Suet Ying gets invite to have barbecue from the film's producer Wong Hoi and director Norris Wong after getting nominated

TIME STILL TURNS THE PAGES' 10 year old "Little Boss" Sean Wong and IN BROAD DAYLIGHT's Bowie Lam are both nominated for Best Supporting Actor

Rachel Leung gets a Best Supporting Actress nomination for IN BROAD DAYLIGHT

Brigitte Lin would receive this year's Lifetime Achievement Awards

Last year's Golden Horse Awards Best Actor Anthony Wong announces the nominations
courtesy of mingpao.com

The 60th Golden Horse Awards would take place on November 25th in Taipei. The event yesterday afternoon held a press conference to announce the nominations. Last year's Best Actor Anthony Wong Chau Sun and Golden Horse executive committee chair Wen Tien-Hsiang made the announcements. This year 3 Hong Kong films have been nominated, including IN BROAD DAYLIGHT (BAK YUN JI HA), TIME STILL TURNS THE PAGES (NIN SIU YUT GEI) and A LYRICIST WANNABE (TIN CHI L). The former received 5 nominations, including Best Actress (Jennifer Yu Heung Ying), Best Supporting Actor (Bowie Lam Bo Yi), Best Supporting Actress (Rachel Leung Yung Ting), Best Art Direction and Best Makeup and Costume Design; TIME STILL TURNS THE PAGES also received 5 nominations, including Best New Director (Nick Cheuk Yik Him), Best Supporting Actor (Sean Wong Tsz Lok), Best Original Screenplay (Cheuk Yik Him), Best Editing (Chan Hiu Chun, Cheuk Yik Him), and Best Narrative Feature; THE LYRICIST WANNABE received Best Actress (Chung Suet Ying) and Best Adapted Screenplay (Norris Wong Yi Lam) nominations. Just becoming a mother for a second time, Jennifer Yu Heung Ying received her Golden Horse Awards Best Actress admission ticket. After hearing the news she could not help but "break her rule" and shed tears of joy.

In the Best Actress category, the Yu Heung Ying starred IN BROAD DAYLIGHT (BAK YUT JI HA) and the Chung Suet Ying starred ATHE LYRICIST WANNABE (TIN CHI L) were both nominated. First time Golden Horse Awards Best Actress nominee Yu Heung Ying appeared emotional after hearing the news. "Because I was at home after giving birth, I was able to sit still and watch the press conference. After getting the news Mommy and I were both very emotional. I even broke my rule and cried. My daughter asked what happened and even helped wiping away my tears. It was really heartwarming. (You son has been very lucky for you.) Thank you Son." Yu Heung Ying in the film played a report who uncovered nursing home abuses. She said that IN is a social topic that requires the attention of the general public. She hoped that her nomination would draw everyone's concerns and into the cinemas when the movie would be released. She promised that she would definitely attend the event in person to thank the Golden Horse Award jury's support.

Another first time Best Actress nominee Chung Suet Ying did not dare to believe the news. "I have been sick for a few days, I am very happy and grateful. In the film I played a character who kept failing on the lyricist journey in music, from secondary school to adulthood. This movie is self financed, due to lack of funding it has stopped production many times. So I thank the cast and the crew's persistence and hard work. Thank you Cantonese songs. If all goes well I would fly over, and dress up for the red carpet. Wong Hoi, Wong Yi Lam just asked me to have barbecue tonight, just like when they first asked me to make the movie with them. They are just as impulsive and serious, I would have a few more pieces."

In addition, Rachel Leung Yung Ting also with IN BROAD DAYLIGHT was nominated for Best Supporting Actress. She happily said, "Thank you jury for the recognition, and the entire film for their hard work. In particular thank you producer (Derek) Yee Tung Sing, director (Lawrence) Kan Kwan Chun, screenwriter Iris and Ah Fung. We created this uniquely meaningful movie together. I also congratulate the Best Actress nominee co-star Yu Heung Yi and the Best Supporting Actor nominee Lam Bo Yi (Bowie). I look forward to going to Taiwan for the vegan railroad bento!"

With over 30 years in the business, Bowie Lam Bo Yi with IN BROAD DAYLIGHT welcomed his first film award nomination. Playing nursing home supervisor, he said, "Of course I am happy to be nominated for the Golden Horse Awards. I have been acting for so many years. Although I haven't won yet, it is still getting a little recognition. In the film aside from me, Chiang Dai Wai, Wu Fung and others all performed outstandingly. New comers are just as good. So this nomination is somewhat a surprise." The 10 year old child star Sean Wong Tsz Lok with TIME STILL TURNS THE PAGES (NIN SIU YUT GEI) was nominated for Best Supporting Actor along with Lam Bo Yi. He said, "When I read the script for the first time I was already moved to tears. Thank you Director Cheuk Yik Him for giving me the chance and trust. When I made it I didn't think about being nominated, during the shot I could only do my best. I hope everyone would support the film."

Director Cheuk Yik Him said, "Before making my first movie, my original job was writing screenplays. I have always really liked to tell stories, so being recognized for the screenplay for me is a greatly meaningful. It's like someone tapped my shoulder and said, 'You have to keep doing what you like to do.'" Nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay with THE LYRICIST WANNABE, Wong Yee Lam said, "This would be the second time I participated in the Golden Horse Awards. This time THE LYRICIST WANNABE has been nominated for two awards; I am very happy, especially Chung Suet Ying for Best Actress. Super lucky is she, a lyricist who can super act."

No comments:

Post a Comment