Wednesday, April 3, 2024

[2024.04.04] STEPHY TANG IS A GLUTTON FOR TRAGEDY

courtesy of on.cc

Stephy Tang Lai Yan in the new film AS IT BURNS (BAK SAU YU FUN) played two characters and began a 12 year long relationship with Jasper Liu. She said, "The character can't set aside her stubbornness; like carrying past grudges in an endless loop, she can't escape the cycle of sadness." She pointed out that sometimes when she recalled the character's sorrow she could not help but get choked up and teared up. "Making this movie has had a huge impact on me, but I happen to like to challenge this type of performance. I couldn't help but feel I am too sadomasochistic, a glutton for punishment. I don't know why I would enjoy playing a character who is drowning in sorrow; like being in love, I keep having to become the tragic character."

Although the movie was made over two years ago, Stephy's emotions were still rather involved. "Earlier I once thought I left the character, I didn't expect to break down when I watched it again. The feeling was like being unable to breathe the whole time! During the promotion when I mentioned certain important scenes, the character's emotions would immediately rush up." Jasper Liu for the movie took back his warm guy image to challenge a dark and depressed character. He said that after the performance he was very down. "After completing the shoot, I have a habit of cutting my hair to properly bid the character farewell."

No comments:

Post a Comment