Thursday, September 5, 2024

[2024.09.06] "SEXY GODDESS" LOLETTA LEE TURNS INTO A FAT HOUSEWIFE WITH A HARD LIFE

Loletta Lee praises Gladys Li for her first-rate crying performance.
courtesy of on.cc

Loletta Lee praises her on screen daughter Gladys Li for her excellent acting in the film.
courtesy of singtao.com

courtesy of MINGPAO.com

Loletta Lee praises Gladys Li for being able to cry on cue during the filming, a performance that is beyond expectation.

Loletta Lee weighed 120 pounds while making ONCE IN A BLUE MOON and lost the weight immediately after, so her body could not collapse again.

Director Andy Lo hopes the audience would go to the theaters and support small budget films

Gladys Li and Peter Chan Charm Man play silblings in the film
courtesy of mingpao.com

Director Andy Lo (Law Yiu Fai)'s 2016 film HAPPINESS (HUNG WON SI NGOR) won word of mouth. 8 years later he released the warm small budget film ONCE IN A BLUE MOON (MUNG YUET), inviting Lee Lai Chun to play the role of a weathered mother. Lee Lai Chun in order to bring the role of a fat housewife to life appeared with no makeup and white hair, subverting her previous images of the "Happy Girls" and the sexy goddess. She believed that actors had to challenge different roles in order to have fun. Playing Lee Lai Chun's daughter, Gladys Li Ching Kwan praised the kindness of "Mama". She was so nervous about her virginity loss scene that she was sweating, making the performance unforgettable. Law Yiu Fai has not made many films. He felt that the current film market was difficult, a small budget film could not overspent and added to the stress. He hoped that the audience would go to the cinemas to support the film.

The Loletta Lee Lai Chun, Gladys Li Ching Kwan, Peter Chan Charm Man, and member of the girl group COLLAR Sumling Li, Deon Cheung Chung Chi and Aaron Chow Chi Kwan starred ONCE IN A BLUE MOON had the subject of family relationships, portraying the secrets of each family members and how they affected each other. In the film Lee Lai Chun incarnated a housewife weighing more than 120 pounds with a rotund body. Without makeup and coloring her hair white, she played the role of a mother who worked hard for her family.

Regarding the subversion of her sexy goddess image, Lee Lai Chun said, "It doesn't matter, actors have to play different roles in order to have fun. If you often play a pretty girl, it will be boring. This time was rather challenging." She revealed that when she first took the role, director Law Yiu Fai did not ask her to gain weight. The truth was that she became fat first. "During the novel coronavirus pandemic, I drank and ate excessively, when I binged dramas I ate late night snacks and junk food. Naturally I became fat. In addition I didn't have much work, and I didn't stay in shape. I told the director that I have gotten a lot fatter, and he said that being fatter would be more suitable for this role."

58-year-old Lee Lai Chun lost weight immediately after completing the movie, as she would not allow her body to collapse again. "I reached more than 120 pounds when I was pregnant with my daughter, this was the first time I got fat for a film. I usually try to keep my weight at 106 pounds. Earlier I patronized the vintage bakery downstairs, bought a lot of sausage buns and the weight came back up. I stopped immediately."

Before the production started on ONCE IN A BLUE MOON, Lee Lai Chun accidentally fell at home and injured her left foot. She thanked Law Yiu Fai for his understanding and accommodation. "In one scene I had to shoot with crutches, the director said it didn't matter and asked me to play a role like she had arthritic symptoms. Originally I wanted to appear a little older, but the director thought that it would be enough for me to be close to my real age." Law Yiu Fai laughed and talked about a scene that was filmed on the rooftop. Originally he arranged from several strong men to carry the injured Lee Lai Chun upstairs, but she endured the pain and propped herself up.

Playing Lee Lai Chun's daughter in the film, Li Ching Kwan said that "Mama" worked on the film with injuries instead gave them an a advantage, as she indirectly brought her and her on screen brother Peter Chan Charm Man into their roles faster. "Chan Charm Man and I often reminded Sister Chun to be careful on the set and took care of this 'Mama' together, which sped up the establishment of family feelings." Lee Lai Chun praised her "daughter" for performing beyond expectation, being able to cry at any time with very large drops of tears; Li Ching Kwan said that Sister Chun was kinder than she imagined, and the collaboration was pleasant. "Sister Chun often shared the details of her life with her daughter, and sometimes I would project my own feelings into the role and feel like her daughter. Earlier I bumped into Sister Chun's daughter at the Asian Film Festival. She is such a beautiful girl, just like Mommy".

Li Ching Kwan played a character with a "lovestruck brain" in the film, meeting a boy on a dating app and losing her virginity. Recalling the bed scene, she felt embarrassed. "It's not the first time I've filmed a bed scene, but I'll never get used to it. I didn't show anything, but the plot required the scene. The director asked me and my co-star (Yukki) Tai Yuk Lun to call out each other's names, I was so nervous that I kept sweating, and I felt sorry that my co-star touched my sweat. In addition it was a bit difficult to reprise this act of losing my virginity. (Did it happen many years ago?) I won't answer."

In the past Law Yiu Fai has worked as screenwriter on many films, including GORGEOUS (BOR LEI JUNG), MY WIFE IS 18 (NGOR LO POR NG GAU CHING), CRAZY N' THE CITY (SUN GAING HUP LUI), SHORT OF LOVE (NGAI JAI DOR CHING), MY SASSY HUBBY (NGOR LO POR NG GAU CHING 2 NGOR LO GUNG NG SUN SING), etc. In 2013 he had the opportunity to direct one of the segments in HARDCORE COMEDY (CHUNG HAU MEI), and in 2016 he also wrote and directed HAPPINESS (HUNG WON SI NGOR) that starred Kara Wai Ying Hung and Carlos Chan Ka Lok. With infrequent production rate, he made ONCE IN A BLUE MOON 8 years later. Law Yiu Fai explained that it was very difficult to start a movie production in an adverse market. This film's small budget added even more stress. "I didn't want to overspend, so I had to complete the filming within 14 days. I cherished it everyday at work, because I didn't know when I will have the opportunity next time." He hoped to provide some entertainment and joy to the public through the film, and called on the audience to support the film at the cinemas.

No comments:

Post a Comment