Tuesday, April 8, 2014

[2014.04.09] ANTHONY CHAN RETURNS TO THE FILM INDUSTRY FOR JUNO MAK

Juno Mak's maturity gives Anthony Chan confidence to make his comeback
courtesy of on.cc

Artist Anthony Chan Yau has been away from the Hong Kong film industry for 20 years. Last year he returned from the Mainland to make Juno Mak Chun Lung's directing debut RIGOR MORTIS (GEUNG SI), with his excellent acting as a priest in the film he successfully received a 33rd Hong Kong Film Award Best Supporting Actor nomination. Being recognized with his film industry comeback, he saw himself as a new comer. "I have had no contact with the film industry for 20 years. Receiving the recognition of friends in the industry, I feel like I won already."

When did he return to Hong Kong and the film industry? He said, "I have worked in the Mainland for a long time, so I want to come back to the Hong Kong film industry not only on screen but for other off screen work as well. Coincidentally I had this opportunity that let me understand the Hong Kong film industry's current situation."

As for why he "tried his luck" with a new director, he said, "Actually earlier two or three films have approached me, and I turned them down. Yet when Mak Chun Lung contacted me, when I spoke with him I felt he was a very mature young man. I felt very confident. Secondly this film felt like it was destined. Over 20 years ago I worked on vampire films. This time I returned to it in another method, which was a challenge."

No comments:

Post a Comment