Friday, May 13, 2011

[2011.05.14] JOHNNIE TO KEI THINKS CHINESE FILMS FOCUS TOO MUCH ON COMMERCIAL FILMS

courtesy of on.cc

Although Johnnie To Kei Fung has attended the Cannes Film Festival many times, he said that this time was the most special. "I came here six times in nine years. Previously every time I was busy with promotion. This time I attend as a jury member and I am the most relaxed.
(Chinese films this year disappoint?) Easing up a little is good. Films of recent years are too heavy with commercial flavor, a balance of business and art would be a little better."

Ah To also said that France has contributed a lot to Hong Kong film preservation. "Hong Kong later will have a Tsui Hark film retrospective, I can't believe some scenes that were edited out of a films 30 years ago could be found in France. Those cut footage was very valuable and very meaningful."

No comments:

Post a Comment