Wednesday, March 9, 2016

[2016.03.10] JANICE MAN GIVES HER ALL TO CHALLENGE HERSELF



HELIOS gives Janice Man her first Hong Kong Film Award nomination
courtesy of on.cc

Since joining the film industry in 2007, Janice Man Wing Shan has made different types of films. In recent years she kept challenging herself and took some more difficult roles, like last year in the film HELIOS (CHET DOH) she played a cold blooded killer and did not hold back in her fight scenes at all. Even Best Actress Shu Qi praised her online. The film even earned her a Hong Kong Film Award Best Supporting Actress nomination this year. Most recently, JM challenged herself again when she took the role in the Herman Yau Lai To directed suspense NESSUN DORMA (HUNG SAU WAN MEI SHUI). In the film she played a psychologically complex, heavy character. She even had a naked torture scene!

Faced with an unprecedented challenge, JM admitted that she thought about the role for awhile before taking it. "I really had to overcome a lot of mental obstacles! After getting the script I spent two weeks to consider it. I met with director Yau Lai To several times and thought that I didn't want to miss out on such a good character. So in the end I decided to take it! However the week before the production started I was worried about a lot. I was very uncertain. Aside from that scene, I even worried if I would be able to drive the character? How would I be able to give the performance layer? I had a lot to think about and had a lot of pressure, I couldn't sleep for an entire week!"

Luckily, insomnia vanished gradually as the film started production. JM finally was able to successfully play the character. Even director Yau Lai To praised her performance. Speaking of that scene, she admitted that before the shoot she was still very scared. Yet after taking her place she did not think about anything at all and just let go. "Since I took the role, I had to do my best! During the shoot the set wasn't really cleared. I only wanted to play the character well, so as soon as the cameras rolled I was in character. I didn't have time to think about anything else. I was neither awkward nor scared. Every shot took only one or two takes. It was very smooth!"

In the film, JM's relationships with Gordon Lam Ka Tung and Andy Hui Chi On were very complicated. She thanked both, especially Ka Tung for teaching her a lot. "They both were great, now everyone have become good friends. Ka Tung is an outstanding co-star, he can very quickly bring me into character." Later she will work on the Soi Cheang Po Shui produced KONG SAU (WILD BEAST). With a Hong Kong Film Award nomination this year was she heading toward Best Actor? She ambitiously said, "This time I really gave my all, of course I hope to have results! Thank you to all the directors and film companies for giving me opportunities." Her salary of course rose as well. Reportedly JM's has already doubled from 1 to 2 million. She said, "I am not sure about the salary, I left it for the company to take care of for me. If everyone wants to encourage me, of course I am happy!"

No comments:

Post a Comment