Wednesday, December 20, 2023

[2023.12.20] JAN LAMB MESSES UP TONY LEUNG'S FILM TITLE

Tony Leung Chiu Wai makes a surprise visit to Commercial Radio in the morning and takes a photo with ON A CLEAR DAY hosts Ken Yuen, Michelle Lo and Jan Lamb

Jan Lamb does not even know that he says the wrong film title interviewing Tony Leung Chiu Wai

CURRY AND PEPPER starred Stephen Chow and Jacky Cheung

Jacky Cheung and Tony Leung Chiu Wai starred in DAYS OF BEING DUMB

Tony Leung Chiu Wai and Andy Lau starred in TVB's DUKE OF MOUNT DEER in 1984

Tony Leung Chiu Wai and Andy Lau in their latest film THE GOLDFINGER
courtesy of mingpao.com

Tony Leung Chiu Wai yesterday around 9:30 AM went to Commercial Radio to promote the film THE GOLDFINGER (GUM SAU JI), appeared on the 903 program ON A CLEAR DAY's live broadcast, spoke with hosts Jan Lamb Hoi Fung, Ken Yuen Tsz Kin and Michelle Lo Mik Suet, became the program's first guest in history and caused a stir at Commercial Radio. The program did not promote the Best Actor's appearance before hand, but facebook live due to Wai Jai had over 5,000 viewers. Wai Jai mentioned that working with Andy Lau Tak Wa again, he was reminded of working on DUKE OF MOUNT DEER. He also admitted that the older he got, the more baggage he had with taking roles. Lam Hoi Fung in front of Wai Jai became a little fan. Seeing his idol, he was out of his mind as he turned the Wai Jai and Jacky Cheung Hok Yau starred DAYS OF BEING DUMB (AH FEI YU AH GEI) into CURRY AND PEPPER. Afterward Lam Hoi Fung on social media blamed himself and said that he would punish himself by writing DAYS OF BEING DUMB 1,000 times.

Wai Jai once promoted on Commercial Radio as a singer. Years later he appeared at CR again for an interview. Lam Hoi Fung asked if this was the first time he promoted so early? Wai Jai said it probably was, he never thought that he would get up early. Speaking of his film THE GOLDFINGER being based on the 1980's the Carrian case, he said that he did not have much of an idea bout this case back then. Lam Hoi Fung asked, "What were you busy with then? CURRY AND PEPPER?" Lam Hoi Fung has yet realized that he made a mistake, while Lo Mik Suet pointed out that Wai Jai back then was probably still in school. According to data Wai Jai in 1981 was enrolled in the TVB artist training class.

Wai Jai talked about his character. "Just hearing about the case and the character, they feel very empty; like you don't know why. This time I have the chance to examine them. (How did you do your homework?) The director gave me the case information. After reading I screamed, 'Wow! That really is incredible!' I was pretty interested in giving it a try." He said that he knew nothing about the financial world, thus he read books about real financial scam stories. With his imagination he brought life to the character in the film. Because Wai Jai mentioned books, Lam Hoi Fung pointed out that there was a Leung Chiu Wai's book list online. He said that Wai Jai once texted a book recommendation to him. Wai Jai said that he did not remember, Lam Hoi Fung awkwardly joked, "You scum! You set me up!" He then praised Wai Jai for being hard work and studious, whether art, leisure, and especially sports he has studied very in-depth. Wai Jai said, "The job required it. Each time the character was different, each time I learned something different. I have a lot of opportunities to come in contact with different things. I have to learn, otherwise I would be very empty. Before hand however much I could prepare I would. For THE GRANDMASTERS (YUT DOI JUNG SI) I studied kung fu. It wasn't about making the fighting look good, but building up my confidence. Then shooting the movie on the set I would be much more at ease."

Wai Jai said that working on THE GOLDFINGER had the feeling of a reunion. Working with Lau Tak Wa and Felix Chong Man Keung was pleasant. "This time is Chong Man Keung again. He deliberately made the story to lure me into making it. If he didn't have a solid character, I couldn't think of how to make it then I wouldn't make it. He made the whole blue print; the reunion of course is a temptation. I have worked with Wa Jai for over 40 years, when Chong Man Keung worked on INFERNAL AFFAIRS (MO GAN DOH) we had a lot of fun. Aside from working on movies, we normally interacted and talked about movies and book. He has always sent me scripts to look at, I have turned many down. I really didn't feel them. When people after reading them would have their feeling they would perform well. After I read them I didn't have any feel, that meant I might not be able to play them well." He also humbly said that the older he got the lazier he got. "Too much baggage, I am very afraid of making something not good. I enjoyed performing in POLICE CADET back then, no baggage. Few had any expectation of you. Instead I could play however I wanted to. With close friends I would be wilder." Wai Jai praised Lau Tak Wa for really taking care of people. He also remembered when they worked on DUKE OF MOUNT DEER. He said, "We became good friends. Back then we made several dozen episodes. For awhile we were together and built a very special relationship and a lot of trust. I believe the bond was established back then. (Then with INFERNAL AFFAIRS and THE GOLDFINGER?) In between I have made some pretty rotten movies that no one would remember. (On a flight would you watch your own movies?) I wouldn't no matter what, I would watch other movies."

Wai Jai's surprise visit to CLEAR to promote made the hosts very excited, but they were a little reserved in front of Wai Jai. After the show Lam Hoi Fung discovered that he said CURRY AND PEPPER instead of DAYS OF BEING DUMB. He blamed himself in a post, "I'll chop myself into pieces! #write 1,000 times DAYS OF BEING DUMB."

No comments:

Post a Comment