Sunday, April 14, 2013

[2013.04.14] THE 32ND HONG KONG FILM AWARDS


Best New Performer Alex Tsui
courtesy of singtao.com
Miriam Yeung is just as excited with her first Best Actress as Leung Ka Fai's fourth Best Actor
Miriam Yeung during her speech is covered in tears
Tony Leung Ka Fai wins Best Actor
For her first Best Actress, Miriam Yeung first gives a simple embrace to  husband Real Ting
DaDa Chan wins Best Supporting Actress
COLD WAR wins nine awards to become the big winner of the night
Former ICAC member Alex Tsui wins Best New Perfomer
Ko Tin Chau, Lui Lai Wa received Professional Spirit Awards

Roy Chow wins Best New Director with NIGHTFALL
Ng See Yuen truly deserves the lifetime achievement award after toiling for years in the business
Sunny Luk, Longman Leung with COLD WAR win Best Director
Miriam Yeung extends her hand to congratulate old flame Ronald Cheng while they keep their distance
Sammie Yu kisses Ronald Cheng to congratulate her husband
Lo Hoi Pang's natural comedy style leaves the audience applauding
Andrew Lau brings up Gigi Leung's old flame Ekin Cheng for laughs during the presentation
courtesy of mingpao.com

The 32nd Hong Kong Film Award took place last night at the Cultural Center. Tony Leung Ka Fai with COLD WAR won his fourth Best Actor while Miriam Yeung Chin Wa with LOVE IN THE BUFF (CHUN GIU YU JI MING) won her first Best Actress.

With 12 nominations COLD WAR won 9 awards to become the big winner, including the majors awards like Best Picture and Best Director. It tied COMRADES ALMOST A LOVE STORY (TIM MUK MUK)'s record. Also with 12 nominations THE BULLET VANISHES (SIU SUT DIK JI DAN) got a goose egg.

Leung Ka Fai with REIGN BEHIND A CURTAIN (SHUI LIM TING JING), LEGENDARY LA ROSE NOIR (92 HAK MUI GWAI DUI HAK MUI GWAI), and ELECTION (HAK SEH WUI) won Best Actor. Last night as the favorite with COLD WAR he won his fourth, defeating Nick Cheung Ka Fai, Tony Leung Chiu Wai, Lau Ching Wan and Chapman To Man Jat. Leung Ka Fai gave a loving kiss to his wife. When he accepted the award he said, "The cast made COLD WAR, made my deputy police commissioner Lee Sir."

When Leung Ka Fai saluted, he was so emotional that he was choked up with tears. "Thank you family, parents, little sister. Two daughters say I have to thank them because they saw COLD WAR 4 times, in addition they brought 20 classmates with them and paid for them, in the future I would have to put an effort into making money and helping out. Will I get a raise? (Anthony) Wong Chau Sun said after winning the Best Actor would have 3 years of bad luck. I will support Hong Kong film and continue to make movies with a very competitive rate." Aside from thanking filmmakers, he also joked that he would thank his wife at home later. He also jumped for joy.

Best Actor award guest presenter Anthony Wong Chau Sun also had fun at the expense of Best Actor nominee Chapman To Man Jat. Earlier they were rumored to be at odds, thus he caused a lot of laughter.

Miriam Yeung Chin Wa with LOVE IN THE BUFF won her first Best Actress, defeating strong opponents like Sammi Cheng Sau Man and Zhou Xun. She first hug her husband Real Ting Chi Go. When she reached the stage to accept her award she was already in tears. "I am so scared! I am dead! Thank you to every voter, I never thought about having this chance. Thank you Pang Ho Cheung. I heard that I was a second choice, thank him for trusting me to play the older woman, young man romance. Actually my psychological pressure was huge. Thank you (Peter) Lam Kin Ngok for giving me the employment opportunity, thank you all of the directors who I have worked with. They are all my teachers and accept me when I didn't perform well." The 4 time Best Actor nominee Sammi was obviously disappointed but still graciously smiled and applauded.

Chin Wa during the interview said that she forgot to thank "Jimmy Cheung" Shawn Yue Man Lok. "After getting on the stage my mind went blank. Actually after several decades I still would be very scared. My hubby was afraid that I would be very disappointing if I didn't win, so two weeks ago he already started to brainwash me. He is very lovable and knows how to keep my feelings in mind. My hubby truly was really emotional, even when he proposed he wasn't so emotional!"

DaDa Chan Jing with VULGARIA (DAI JOOK HEI KET) won Best Supporting Actress. When she accepted the award she was sobbing out of control. "I never thought about winning. I am someone who is without a dream, but as long as you work hard you would be able to find your own direction and value." DaDa during her interview remained emotional. "I thought my co-star (Susan) Shaw Yam Yam would win. I won only because the character was good. Thank you Director Pang Ho Cheung for daringly casting me." She joked that at that moment she wanted to drink and was prepared to get drunk.

The 65 year old Alex Tsui Ka Kit with COLD WAR won Best New Performer and became the oldest new actor winner. He said, "Thank you to my parents for giving me so much knowledge, so I can at the right time make so many choices. This award is very heavy, I wouldn't be so happy that I would sleep with it, I would treat it like a decorative piece." He in his speech thanked the production team and the Hong Kong audience for bringing him on the incredible journey of the Hong Kong Film Award. He also thanked his late parents. He also said that over 28 years he has played many good roles but his acting was no match for the former Chief Executive, when he worked at the Independent Commission Against Corruption he studied 40 years of kung fu. He joked that he wanted to be the grand master but not in Wing Chun sticking hand, but his wife holding out her hand. Although he often did what he should not like jumping around the ring like he was 18 but he still rather enjoyed it.

Aaron Kwok Fu Sing presented the Best Director award and his film COLD WAR's directors Longman Leung Lok Man and Sunny Luk Kim Ching won their first awards. The film won 9 awards and became this year's big winner. All three were very happy, the directors even gave a special thanks for the "commissioner" Sing Sing and led to a wave of laughter.

Jackie Chan with CZ12 (SUP YI SUN CHIU) defeated senior colleague Sammo Hung Kam Bo and Chin Kar Lok to win Best Action Choreography. He said, "I would share this award with Sammo and Kar Lok. We are a family, it doesn't matter who wins the award. This time is my 8th Best Action Choreography award." When Tsang Chi Wai and Chrissie Chau Sau Na presented the award, Chi Wai poked fun at Chau Sau Na's figure.

The Feng Xiaogang directed 1942 won the Best Mainland China and Taiwan film. Zhang Guoli and Xu Fan during the interview expressed their joy. Xu Fan said, "This is a recognition of work, even if I didn't win I still would properly work and remain firm with my beliefs." She joked that the mobile phone signal was very weak so she has not called her husband Feng Xiaogang. To Man Jat this year was nominated for both Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor but unfortunately did not win either.

Ronald Cheng Chung Kei received the Best Supporting Actor Award from old flame Yeung Chin Wa. He emotionally broke down. Before the presentation, Cheung Ka Fai made up of Chin Wa, "One of (the nominees) was your......" Chin Wa who looked embarrassed could only stare at Cheng Chung Kei and greet him. "Hi! How are you? I haven't seen you in awhile. Congratulations on having a daughter!" When Cheung Ka Fai announced the winner and joked, "This one......whenever he's at a large scale press conference (divorce announcement with Charlene Choi Cheuk Yin) he would cry, why don't you read it!"

Chin Wa took over and read Cheng Chung Kei's name, but during the presentation they kept their distance. Chin Wa reached out to shake hands and present the award, then immediately stood in the back.

When Cheng Chung Kei gave his speech he emotionally broke down. "When I started I gave people an impression that wasn't too good. Because my father was a record company boss, I thought I was great just from singing a few songs. I didn't disappoint anyone either, constantly getting into trouble. Luckily I ran into many people who loved me. On my first day on the set I was late because I was in court for drunk drinking and again disappointing people. Mr. (Andy) Lau Tak Wa told me 'when the prodigal son returns it's more valuable than gold'. I became determined to stop singing and went to make movies, starting from zero. I learned to persist, today this award is the Hong Kong film industry's start to accept me. Thank you Parents for never giving up on me, I would give this award to my Old Lady and daughter." His wife Sammie Yu Sze man was moved to tears.

Fellow Best Supporting Actor nominee Gordon Lam Ka Tung was one of the hosts. When Cheng Chung Kei was announced the camera captured Lam Ka Tung's disappointment. Eric Tsang Chi Wai even asked how he felt about his defeat. Ka Tung said, "I want to vomit, the pressure is so enormous that I want to leave......after I took (the hosting job) I found out that I was nominated. I really had enough." Zhang Guoli also expressed his sympathy for Lam Ka Tung later.

Former Best Supporting Actor Lo Hoi Pang has always loved a good gag. He joked that he did not understand why he was arranged to present the Best Visual Effects and Best Sound awards, thinking that those two awards did not have much to do with him. "I mix acting, not sound". Brother Pang later gave a golden explanation. "Maybe I am always saying 'Lo Hoi Pang Mic Check', people think I am very demanding with sound quality. As the saying goes if the mic check goes well then it's nominations and awards, if the mic check goes bad then it's time to find your mother!"

Some applauded and cracked up in the audience, To Man Jat widened his eyes and left his mouth wide open. Host Eric Tsang Chi Wai during the commercial break praised Brother Pang for his guts. "What we say behind the scene, Brother Pang says in front of the camera."

Andrew Lau Wai Keung and Gigi Leung Wing Kei presented Best Supporting Actress, but he brought up the newlywed Dior Cheng Yi Kin. As soon as he opened his mouth he said, "Recently got married!" Gigi's wedding was in 2011 so actually it was not considered recent but she replied, "Right!" Lau Wai Keung followed up and said that he was referring to Ekin's wedding, Gigi was stunned then asked, "You are really talking about this?" Lau Wai Keung apologized to Ekin and added that everything he said was "according to the script".

In memory of the film industry elders who passed away this year like Jacqueline Law Wai Guen, Joe Cheng Cho, Austin Wai Tin Chi and Kong Ngai, the event showed videos of their past work with music from the orchestra. In addition, Jacky Cheung Hok yau who happily won the Best Original Film Song performed his THE LAST TYCOON (DAI SEUNG HOI) theme song CONSTANT TURMOIL. Singers Leo Ku Kui Ke, Mag Lam Yun Tung and others also performed their nominated film songs. Anthony Wong Yiu Ming also worked with the orchestra and performed many Leslie Cheung Kwok Wing and Anita Mui Yim Fong classic film theme songs from FAREWELL TO MY CONCUBINE and ROUGE among others.

THE 32ND HONG KONG FILM AWARDS
http://www.hkfaa.com/winnerlist.html

BEST PICTURE
COLD WAR

BEST DIRECTOR
Longman Leung Lok Man, Sunny Luk Kim Ching (COLD WAR)

BEST SCREENPLAY
Longman Leung Lok Man, Sunny Luk Kim Ching (COLD WAR)

BEST ACTOR
Tony Leung Ka Fai (COLD WAR)

BEST ACTRESS
Miriam Yeung Chin Wa (LOVE IN THE BUFF)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Ronald Cheng Chung Kei (VULGARIA)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
DaDa Chan Jing (VULGARIA)

BEST NEW PERFORMER
Alex Tsui Ka Kit (COLD WAR)

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
Anthony Pun Yiu Ming (THE SILENT WAR)

BEST FILM EDITING
Kwong Chi Leung, Wong Hoi (COLD WAR)

BEST ART DIRECTOR
Yee Chung Chung, Eric Lam Che Kiu (THE LAST TYCOON)

BEST COSTUME AND MAKE UP DESIGN
Yee Chung Man, Jessie Dai Mei Ling (THE GREAT MAGICIAN)

BEST ACTION CHOREOGRAPHY
Jackie Chan, He Jun (CZ12)

BEST ORIGINAL FILM SCORE
Peter Kam Pui Tat (COLD WAR)

BEST ORIGINAL FILM SONG
CONSTANT TURMOIL (THE LAST TYCOON)
Composer: Leon Ko Sai Cheung
Lyric: Chris Shum Wai Chung
Performer: Jacky Cheung Hok Yau

BEST SOUND DESIGN
Kinson Tsang King Cheung (COLD WAR)

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
Cecil Cheng Man Ching (COLD WAR)

BEST NEW DIRECTOR
Roy Chow Hin Yeung (NIGHTFALL)

BEST FILM FROM MAINLAND AND TAIWAN
1942

LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
Ng See Yuen

PROFESSIONAL SPIRIT AWARD
Lui Lai Wa
Ko Tin Chau

PIONEER AWARD
Eastman Kodak

BEST DRESSED
Lau Ching Wan, Sammi Cheng Sau Man

No comments:

Post a Comment