Tuesday, April 9, 2013

[2013.04.10] DADA CHAN AND SUSAN SHAW: THE VULGARIA PAIR

DaDa Chan (VULGARIA)
Fung Chih-Chiang (THE BOUNTY)
Roy Chow (NIGHTFALL)
courtesy of on.cc

This year's Hong Kong Film Award Best Supporting Actress nominees have a lot of variety. Nominees included DaDa Chan Jing, veteran actresses Susan Shaw Yam Yam and Elaine Jin (Kam Yin Ling), Mainland actress Jiang Yiyan and Taiwan singer Mavis Fan Hiu Huen, young middle and old all in one pot.

The youngest, the 24 year old DaDa with the controversial film VULGARIA (DAI JOOK HEI KET) was nominated. In the film she played a starlet "Popping Candy" who was willing to provide "special service" to filmmakers in order to rise to stardom. Her performance broke the flower vase image. Last year she was nominated at the Taiwan Golden Horse Award and was also a Hong Kong Film Award favorite. DaDa stated that being able to participate in this film event for the first time was already a dream come true. "When I was little I really liked watching movies, I never thought I would be able to participate. I am truly very happy to be at the same place with so many elders. This time I am recognized in the place where I was born and raised, an even greater encouragement than last time (Golden Horse Award). It's like a dream!"

Speaking of two time Best Supporting Actress Shaw Yam Yam also was nominated with VULGARIA. Was she confident about beating her elder? DaDa said, "Sister Yam yam told me not to fight with her for it, I of course don't dare to! However later she suggested winning it together, if so then that would be the best. If I said I don't want to win that would be untrue, but other nominees are very strong. I don't dare to think too much. Ultimately the more award the film gets the happier I am."

DaDa said that her friends all encouraged her but also added to her pressure. How would she prepare? She said that losing weight was the first task. "I ate a lot during the Lunar New Year, when I was working on a movie many co-workers bought a lot of food to visit. Earlier I was sick and didn't have the energy to exercise. Lately I started to look for a fitness trainer to work out with me and I am slowly dieting. I can't stop eating all at once, I am someone who has to have food to be able to move."

Best Supporting Actress Nominations
Susan Shaw Yam Yam (VULGARIA)
DaDa Chan Jing (VULGARIA)
Jiang Yiyan (THE BULLET VANISHES)
Elaine Jin (Kam Yin Ling, THE VIRAL FACTOR)
Mavis Fan Hiu Huen (THE SILENT WAR)

Among the Hong Kong Film Award Best Supporting Actress nominees are female stars from China, Hong Kong and Taiwan. Aside from Chan Jing and Shaw Yam Yam, the other three had their own strengths. Nominated with the Emperor Motion Picture THE VIRAL FACTOR, Kam Yin Ling has always been known as the "Supporting Role Heavenly Queen" as she has won three Golden Horse Award and Hong Kong Film Award for Best Supporting Actress. Of course she was the favorite. Mainland actress Jiang Yiyan and Taiwan representative Fan Hiu Heun both were nominated for the first time. Jiang Yiyan who graduated from the famous school Beijing Film Academy Performance Department had solid acting; Fan Hiu Huen started as a singer but her performance in THE SILENT WAR was solid and could be the award winning dark horse.

Among the New Director award, the favorite had to be the NIGHTFALL (DAI JUI BO) nominee Roy Chow Hin Yeung. Earlier he with the film won the Hong Kong Federation of Filmmakers' 2012 Best New Director Award. Conceivably another victory would not be hard.

However, Roy said that he never thought about being nominated. "Ultimately viewers decide the film's performance, the best answer is when viewers buy tickets and go in. Now the most important is to focus on making a new film good, work hard on a breakthrough. Then I can answer to the audience and to myself." Although Roy did not seem to care too much about awards, his enthusiasm for film indeed was worth the nomination and the award!

In addition, Roy said that he rather appreciate the five Best Supporting Actress nominees' performance, but he said that veteran actresses Shaw Yam Yam and Kam Yin Ling were the favorites.

New Director Nominations
Roy Chow Hin Yeung (NIGHTFALL)
Brian Tse Lap Man (MCDULL THE PORK OF MUSIC)
Fung Chih-Chiang (THE BOUNTY)

No comments:

Post a Comment