Tuesday, April 2, 2013

[2013.04.03] RONNY YU ELIMINATES FILM INDUSTRY BIG BROTHER DURING CASTING

Ronny Yu says the massive battle scenes are not hard but making the actors look cool on horseback is
Ekin Cheng takes over the oldest son role for the injured Louis Koo
Ronny Yu jokes that Adam Cheng has always been chok.  Early in the production he resists the fake beard.
courtesy of mingpao.com

Once made a hit Hollywood horror film, director Ronny Yu Yun Tai's first Chinese historical film SAVING GENERAL YANG (JUNG LIT YEUNG GA JEUNG) will soon be released with a strong cast. Hong Kongers are the most familiar with Adam Cheng Siu Chau, Dior Cheng Yi Kin, Raymond Lam Fung, Wu Chun and Vic Chou Yu Man. Yu Yun Tai said that originally during casting, a group of "film industry older brothers" thought the roles were too small and asked him to change the script. He eliminated them all from the production. He also revealed that Ekin due to Louis Koo Tin Lok's injury and resignation had to switch characters twice and hesitated. He was worried about gossip.

Y: Yu Yun Tai, R: Reporter

R: SAVING GENERAL YANG puts Cheng Siu Chau, Cheng Yi Kin, Wu Chun, Lam Fung, Chou Yu Man in its star studded cast. Did you have any difficulty with screen time distribution and the massive battle scenes?

Y: When the production started many film industry experts asked for Chow Yun Fat, (Andy) Lau Tak Wa, (Tony) Leung Chiu Wai, of course the suggestion was great. However in my mind they had to be young, strong, cool, handsome and fresh. Thus during casting I looked for a new group with over 1.8 meter height, they were all older brother class. When they came to negotiate they thought that group scenes were numerous and they had nothing to act with. They were afraid of becoming support players and each asked me to change the script and add scenes. Very strangely, I ended up eliminating them all. Hollywood has many ensemble films too, like OCEAN'S ELEVEN had Matt Damon, George Clooney, Brad Pitt and others. They wouldn't think their roles were small! With this current group of actors, they know my starting point is to express the Chinese tradition and beautiful culture of benevolence through the Yang Clan Warriors story. Thus they had no argument at all. However I put a lot of effort into evenly distributing the roles. I had to make them look very cool on horseback. On the other hand the massive battle scenes were not hard at all.

R: Koo Tin Lok who originally was in the cast due to leg injury resigned, did it affect the film progress?

Praises Ekin's Big Brother Presence

Y: The two major troubles during this production, aside from casting, Cheng Yi Kin also had troubles; actually I wanted Ekin to play the oldest son long ago because I know him to be loving, dislike fighting, treat the crew well, just like a big brother. Yet boss (Raymond) Wong Pak Ming said that he spent a lot of money to sign Koo Tin Lok and I had to use Goo Jai. I thought, Goo Jai constantly used the tanning bed and didn't look like the big brother. During the shoot he would have to convince people and couldn't be just for looks, but it was out of my hands. I could only convince Ekin to play the villain, finally Ekin agreed. Perhaps it was destined, Goo Jai broke his leg as work was about to begin. I asked Ekin to play the oldest son. He hesitated as he was afraid that other people would talk. I spent a lot of time before I was able to persuade Ekin. On the set he truly had a big brother presence.

R: Some said everyday before work, the seven sons of Yang would have a group read to elevate their unity. Were you worried that Father Yang Chau Guoon would be jealous of being neglected?

Revealing Chau Guoon Resisted Fake Beard

Y: I kept that in mind. Everyday in the end was a script reading with Chau Guoon. He was very professional. Although he was dubbed, everyday he delivered the Putonghua lines and used iPad software to correct his own pronunciation. However Chau Guoon has always been very chok. At first he resisted the fake beard. Later I explained that the long beard represented his character's power, thus he accepted it.

Confident, Without Fear Of Being Underdog

R: Hong Kong people resist co-productions in recent years. This time SAVING is a co-production. Are you worried about the box office?

Y: Many film industry experts pick this film to be a bomb, but I believe in myself. When I make movies I treat myself as a viewer, I only make it when I feel moved. The story whether old or new depends on the director's technique; when I made THE BRIDE WITH WHITE HAIR (BAK FAT MOR NUI JUEN) I ran into Tsui Hark's SWORDSMAN II (DONG FONG BUT BEI) and other swordplay films; when I made FEARLESS (FOK YUEN GAP) people said the subject was too repetitive, but the results proved that they worked. I feel SAVING will be a hit around the world, the most important is for the audience to feel it is a good movie. Naturally it will spread.

Turning Down CROUCHING TIGER HIDDEN DRAGON 2

R: Director Ang Lee has won the Best Director Oscar twice, will it help elevate Chinese directors' positions and developments in Hollywood?

Y: No. Ang Lee is an unique case. He has lived in the U.S. for a long time, he no longer is an outsider. He has become a part of the film mainstream, in addition development depends on work. Commercial films rule Hollywood, when you go over there you shouldn't follow the trend, you have to be certain what your advantages are. Others felt my horror films were great so they asked to make a horror film; however if I wanted to make an action film, I would have to wait for it to leak out of Ng Yu Sum (John Woo)'s fingers! Now instead I want to make more Chinese films, as I get older I want to find my roots, use what I know to spread the beautiful Chinese traditions and cultures. Hollywood asked me to make CROUCHING TIGER HIDDEN DRAGON 2, but I turned it down. Ang Lee is my idol, the previous film was too classic. CROUCHING is his creation, the creative soul can't be counterfeited. It should be appreciated, outsides shouldn't mess with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment