![]() |
ARRESTED MEMORY receives 11 nominations, including Best Actor for Ethan Juan |
![]() |
| Anson Kong succumbs to tears upon learning of his Golden Horse Best Supporting Actor nomination |
![]() |
| Yeung Wai Lun competes for his first Golden Horse Best Actor award |
![]() |
| Jennifer Yu, Tin Kai Man and Liu Kuan-Ting receive Golden Horse Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor and Best Actor nominations for DOUBLE HAPPINESS |
![]() |
| Ethan Juan again compete for the Golden Horse Best Actor award |
![]() |
| Audrey Lin, Kearen Pang and Judy Ongg receive Best Supporting Actress nominations courtesy of mingpao.com |
The 63rd Golden Horse Awards ceremony will be held on November 22nd at the Taipei Music Center. The list of nominees was announced yesterday, featuring many Hong Kong actors and filmmakers. The Best Actress category includes the 61st Golden Horse Best Actress winner Chung Suet Ying, who was nominated for WE ARE BORN GOOD (SIN NAM SHUN NUI), while DOUBLE HAPPINESS' Jennifer Yu Heung Ying and AFTERPIECE's Angela Yuen Lai Lam were also nominated for Best Actress. WE ARE BORN GOOD's Yeung Wai Lun (Ah Lun) was nominated for Best Actor for the first time and became the sole representative of Hong Kong. The Best Supporting Actor nominees include WE'RE NOTHING AT ALL (NGOR MOON BUT SI SUP MOR)'s MIRROR member Anson Kong Ip Sang and DOUBLE HAPPINESS' Tin Kai Man. Plagued by negative reviews recently, Kong Ip Sang received his first Golden Horse Best Supporting Actor nomination and was moved to tears. He said, "I deeply understand that whether in life or acting, I still have many areas where improvement and change are needed. Thank you, I am grateful, thank you!"
This year's Golden Horse Awards film with the most nominations was the Ethan Juan starred Japan and Taiwan co-produced ARRESTED MEMORY, with a total of 11 nominations. Shu Qi's directorial debut GIRL received 10 nominations, and she would even compete for Best New Director with this film; DOUBLE HAPPINESS and WE ARE BORN GOOD each received 9 nominations. Among the Best Actress nominees, three were Hong Kong representatives: Yu Heung Ying, Chung Suet Ying, and Yuen Lai Lam. The other two were Malaysian actress Yeo Yann Yann from WE ARE ALL STRANGERS and mainland actress Liang Cuishan from BIG LITTLE THINGS. No Taiwanese actresses were nominated.
Chung Suet Ying was crowned Best Actress at the 61st Golden Horse Awards for THE WAY WE TALK (HONG NGOR GUM TIN JUM MOR SUET), and this time is nominated again for WE ARE BORN GOOD. The film team responded, "The WE ARE BORN GOOD team is very happy to be nominated for the Golden Horse Awards. Through the film festival we can bring WE ARE BORN GOOD to different parts of the world, allowing audiences to see Hong Kong cinema."
Yu Heung Ying was nominated for Best Actress at the Golden Horse Awards a few years ago for IN BROAD DAYLIGHT (BAK YUN JI HA). This time she is again competing for Best Actress with DOUBLEH HAPPINESS. She said, "I am very grateful to the Golden Horse judges for giving me this recognition. I was just out on the street with my child. I knew it was a live broadcast, so I was feeling a bit nervous. It wasn't until I received congratulations from director (Joseph) Hsu Cheng-chieh that I realized I was nominated. Later I kept hearing about the nominations for the DOUBLE HAPPINESS team, I was so excited and happy. Daddy Mr. Tin (Tin Kai Man) and I congratulated each other, and now we can return to Taiwan again." Besides the DOUBLE HAPPINESS team, many other outstanding Hong Kong filmmakers were nominated, including my mentor (Kearen) Pang Sau Wai. I am very happy for her, and we immediately had a video call embrace." Yuen Lai Lam was nominated for Best Actress at the Golden Horse Awards in 2022 for THE NARROW ROAD (MIN LO MEI CHUN). This time she is again competing for Best Actress for AFTERPIECE (DAI SEI MOK). "I'm super happy and honored to be nominated for the Golden Horse Awards again. I hope AFTERPIECE will be a big hit, because I really want to experience what a box office hit feels like."
Best Actor is seen as the 'group of death' with fierce competition. Yeung Wai Lun is nominated for the first time at the Golden Horse Awards for the film WE ARE BORN GOOD. His rivals include Golden Horse Best Supporting Actor, Liu Kuan-Ting from DOUBLE HAPPINESS, Golden Horse Best Actor Ethan Juan from ARRESTED MEMORY, Golden Horse director Leon Dai from KUNG FU, and Jack Tan from DEAD TIDE.
The Herman Yau Lai To directed WE'RE NOTHING AT ALL was nominated for Best Director and Best Supporting Actor. Yau Lai To said, "Thank you to the Golden Horse judges. WE'RE NOTHING AT ALL will be released in Taiwan on October 2nd. I hope Taiwanese audiences will support and enjoy WE'RE NOTHING AT ALL." Nominated for Best Supporting Actor, Kong Ip Shang was recently embroiled in a scandal over his poor attitude during interviews. Yesterday his publicity staff responded to his feelings about being nominated, saying he could not believe the good news and said with a tearful voice that he never imagined he would get a nomination. He thanked the organizers for their recognition and the entire team of WE'RE NOTHING AT ALL. "I deeply understand that whether in life or acting, I still have many areas where improvement and change are needed. Thank you, I am grateful, thank you!"
In mid-year, Tin Kai Man won his first Best Supporting Actor award in his 47-year career at the Taipei Film Festival for DOUBLE HAPPINESS. As a Golden Horse nominee, he said, "I am overjoyed and hope the team will achieve even greater success." Judy Ongg was nominated for Best Supporting Actress for SUNSHINE WOMEN'S CHOIR, alongside Golden Horse Best Actress Audrey Lin from GIRL and Pang Sau Wai from WE ARE BORN GOOD. Judy Ongg said, "Being nominated again for the Golden Horse Awards after 54 years is an incredibly precious honor for me.'
Wen Tien-Hsiang, the Executive Director of the Golden Horse Executive Committee, was asked yesterday that none of the Best Actress nominees were Taiwanese actors. He joked, "It means that the Golden Horse is fair and just." Wen Tien-Hsiang mentioned that Vivian Sung in THE AGE OF GOODBYES, 9m88 in GIRL, and Cecilia Choi Sze Wan in MUDBORN all received attention from the judges. As for the five Best Actor nominees, Ethan Juan was described by the judges as having a strong sense of rhythm and a well-positioned performance; Yeung Wai Lun as a cha chaan teng owner who gets into a war with the female lead Chung Suet Ying over a takeout incident combined humor with survival in hard times. Stephen Fung Tak Lun from AFTERPIECE (DAI SEI MOK) and Chunfeng from DEAD END were the overlooked male leads.








No comments:
Post a Comment