Tuesday, April 9, 2024

[2024.04.10] HUI YUET SHEUNG VIES FOR BEST NEW PERFORMER: WINNING OR LOSING DOESN'T MATTER

Hui Yuet Sheung's goal is to become an actor of substance, and she wants to play the bad guy the most

Hui Yuet Sheung (left) plays young journalist Jess in IN BROAD DAYLIGHT and thanks co-stars Jennifer Yu and Leung Chung Hang for helping her get into character
courtesy of mingpao.com

Hui Yuet Sheung graduated from the Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts last year and is a new force in the film industry. Playing the young journalist Jess in IN BROAD DAYLIGHT (BAK YUT JI HA), she has been nominated for the Hong Kong Film Awards Best New Performer. She said that she was only dedicated to playing a role well, and never thought about what she had to compete for the award with. Being nominated was already enough encouragement, "IN BROAD DAYLIGHT has a good team on and off camera. It doesn't matter if I would win or lose, because I have earned a lot of experience! I regard Tang Wei as a role model because her acting is emotionally delicate, gives people a very natural and stable impression. I hope to be able to learn her acting skills. Even for roles that would be more daring and require nudity, I am willing to give them a try as long as the plot requires it."

Hui Yuet Sheung thought that she had a quiet personality, never dared to jump out of the protected box. She originally studied accounting at the university; but later she found that she was bored of facing a large pile of numbers, so she transferred to the Academy of Performing Arts. 4 years of drama courses brought her a lot of changes and broadened her horizons, but at first she did not have her family's support. "Since I was a child, my family has instilled the concept that I will study hard, be admitted to a good university, and then find an ideal job. They felt that studying accounting would be safer, as they didn't want me to waste time and take risks. However I insisted on transferring to the Academy of Performing Arts. My family eventually told me to choose the path I wanted to take, and if the development of the entertainment industry would not be ideal, I could go back to school and study accounting again."

Hui Yuet Sheung has loved dancing since childhood, and excelled at dancing Western folk dance, Jazz Funk and K-pop. Once she has participated in competitions on behalf of the school to gain stage experience, but she started acting from scratch. She could only go to class while looking for opportunities to hone her acting skills. Hence she took on commercials and music video jobs one after another, before graduation she was already chosen for the ViuTV series LEFT ON READ and the movie LIFE MUST GO ON (SUM SIU SIM BEI KAU). Although her role had little screen time, she got valuable actual on the job experience. She said that when she received the IN BROAD DAYLIGHT script, she felt lucky and super happy. "Thanks to director (Lawrence) Kan Chun Kwan for arranging for me to meet with real reporters before filming started, I obtained even more information and understanding of the story background that helped me shape the character. Then I studied foreign films with similar subjects SPOTLIGHT and SILENCED." She knew that she was impatient, when delivering her dialogue she has not been not smooth and natural enough. She still had a lot of room for improvement, and she gave special thanks to her co-stars Jennifer Yu Heung Ying and Leung Chung Hang for giving her advice and bringing her into character.

Hui Yuet Sheung did not feel that her exterior and look were outstanding. She would not lock in the route of a beautiful girl, instead she wanted to be an actor of substance. She refused to limit herself to playing the mild mannered, good girl, intellectual youth, panicky or tragic type roles, "Being an actor I want to make attempts in many areas. If I have to be funny, play an ugly girl, have a low IQ, and even play a physically disabled role I can, I want to play a bad guy the most, or a character with a gloomy personality and full of dark sides."

No comments:

Post a Comment