Tuesday, September 8, 2026

[2026.09.09] ANN HUI ENCOURAGES COLLEAGUES TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE AI GIMMICK

Ann Hui and Tin Kai Man want to give AI technology a try
courtesy of on.cc


Ann Hui has prepared what she would wear to accept her Camellia award at the Busan Film Festival

Tin Kai Man admits that after winning the Best Supporting Actor award his workload has increased

Toby Chan (left) says that she does not know about Rebecca Zhu (right)'s new romance
courtesy of mingpao.com

Director Ann Hui On Wah, Tin Kai Man, Rebecca Zhu Chenli and Toby Chan Ting Yan attended the Hong Kong premiere of "ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE MIDDLE EAST" the night before (7th). Hui On Wah talked about the feeling of receiving the Busan Film Festival "Camellia Award" and also believed that AI production might not take the actor's job; Tin Kai Man revealed that he has been trying to make AI short dramas; with her TVB contract ended, Zhu Chenli performed her first solo show for the first time, denied that she was transitioning to become a singer, and clarified that the wedding news was pure rumor.

Hui On Wah earlier received the 31st Busan International Film Festival "Camellia Award", she joked in an interview, "This time I am happier than before, because I am a little older I am more deserving. If I got it a decade or so ago I would have been a little upset, because I still wanted to make more movies." She revealed that she would attend the award ceremony, as now she still had the energy to receive the award. "At my age I can still personally accept the award, aside from being afraid of falling on the stage I am very proud of myself. I hope in the future I won't have to accept an award in a wheelchair." Would she would continue to make films? She admitted that she still wanted to. Regarding the downturn in the market, she immediately said, "Actually film has been said to be bad for 30 years, but they are still being made. Nothing can be done about the general climate, but you can definitely change your attitude. Don't be so depressed, right now many television series and films need special subjects to be able to attract people." As for the AI craze being accused of taking the actor's job, Ann believed that it might not necessarily. "Recently there have been a TV series that has mixed AI with real people, and the audience would be curious to see it. I don't want to resist using AI for production, which can save money, can generate talk, and actors can still save their strength. As long as it can reduce cost and achieve even better results.; but AI production can't completely replace movies, because watching movies is a part of the entertainment program in people's lives." She stressed that she would face the trend with a positive attitude. Referring to the birth of former collaborator Tang Wei's child, Ann was happy for her and would like to collaborate again if the opportunity would arise.

Tin Kai Man said that he came for inspiration. "This movie is such a hit, I come to learn from it. I have To learn from the good, but I also have to learn from the not so good." Experienced media person Tsang Chi Wah earlier blasted the Stephen Chow Sing Chi directed KUNG FU SOCCER (GONG FU NUI JOOK) for occupying showtimes, which affected the film he admired, THE DATING MENU (CHU SI FAT BAN). As the spokesperson of the Federation of Hong Kong Filmmakers, Tin Kai Man said that film scheduling was a theater issue. KUNG FU SOCCER's Hong Kong box office was not particularly brilliant either. Occupying the majority of the showtimes involved the business agreement between the distributors and the cinema circuits, as well as the cinema circuit's investment background. For example the Dayo Wong Tze Wah starred NIGHT KING (YEH WONG) also had many shows, because the cinema circuit was the film's investor. He said that theaters were very realistic, selling two more times would make money for them. Whether they invested heavily in publicity would also be a factor. The number of shows could not guarantee ideal box office performance.

Tin Kai Man said that the audience now was also very picky, and they had to come up with ways for the audience to go to the theaters like audience appreciation shows. He also agreed that some movies with good word of mouth would have their admission affected due to limited showtimes. "I have discussed this with the cinemas. The response was, 'If you get two more shows, would people come to watch you?' Having shows did not mean that the audience would go and support the film, but without shows some would complain about the lack thereof. The most important is to have the data to bring up with the theaters." In addition earlier he won his first Best Supporting Actor award at the Taipei Film Awards with DOUBLE HAPPINESS. He admitted that his workload has increased, including movies and commercia. He also had different behind the scene production projects. He recently completed the film TIN GUONG HEI (DAYBREAK OPERA). Later he would work on a Lunar New Year film but also want to change his film path. He has been trying the AI shot drama production method. "Currently the selling point for AI is shrinking the cost, but creators have to consider the work first. They have to study its use in detail. Causal use of AI would be very risky." Speaking of the recent popularity of many mainland dramas, he admitted that he has not have time to study them but he has watched with his wife the Wallace Chung Hon Leung starred THE EPOCH OF MIYU (MUK YU GEI).

Toby Chan Ting Yan was interviewed with her friend Rebecca Zhu Chenli (Chu Chu), they said that they had a friend group that met for food from time to time. With her TVB contract ending earlier, Chu Chu recently held her first solo concert in Guangzhou but she denied that she was switching to be a singer. "I just want to break through myself. I think it's fun to be a singer, but it's also difficult." For those online who said that she did not have a representative work to perform a show with, she thought it was normal. "At the show I sang covers, and the unreleased Mandarin song 'Your Smile'. It's just a start. Everything starts from zero." She revealed that she has been negotiating different jobs. In the beginning she encountered many difficulties but she credited her friends for their help.

For the earlier wedding rumor, Chu Chu smiled and said, "Even I don't know. Rumors like these shouldn't be spread. Earlier I have said that I have a male friend who I have been getting to know outside the business." Toby said that she did not know that her friend had someone she was getting to know, and advised her as someone who has been there to get to know each other for a long time. She even more frankly regretted not participating in the "A DATE WITH GODDESS SERIES 2". She believed that Bob Lam Sing Bun would secretly screen for her, but she was in no hurry to date because she would participate in the international pickle ball competition later. She hoped for good results.

No comments:

Post a Comment