Thursday, August 27, 2026

[2026.08.27] RENCI YEUNG WITNESSES JEFFREY NGAI'S NEAR DEATH EXPERIENCE

(Starting left) Renci Yeung, Jeffrey Ngai and Kevin Chu Kam Yin spend months on wakesurfing training before the production begins

Renci Yeung teaches Jeffrey Ngai wakesurfing 

Kevin Chu shows off his muscles in the film
courtesy of mingpao.com

Officially opening today, the film WAKESURF LOVERS (LONG FA NAM NJUI) was about the Renci Yeung Sze Wing played Wakesurf coach, because of her teaching method was publicly judged by the Internet and abused by trend followers. Jeffrey Ngai Chun Sun then with his internet moniker "Pacific Ocean Jellyfish King" posted a mocking video that went viral. Later he found out that she was only discredited by rumors, so he was willing to risk everything to find justice for her. As for how he would face online criticism in real life, Jeffrey seemed quite open- minded. He believed that life was like a book that documented itself, with both advantages and disadvantages. During self-examination of course they would be taken for granted, but others might see it from different angles when they read and resulting in a very different understanding.

The film had many water skiing performances. Jeffrey admitted that at first he did not understand water skiing and falling into the water was very frustrating. "Because when I work on fight scenes, even if I don't fight pretty the shoot could play the fight pretty. Yet if I can't fall in water skiing, as if would affect the progress. So when I first got up in the water early in the training, I had a great sense of satisfaction and felt like I could fly. I was very high, but the director told me to do what I was able to do." With water skiing experience, Renci and Kevin Chu Kam Yin (Chu Jai) felt that Jeffrey had quite a knack, spending only a very short time to be able to perform water skiing tricks like air jump.

Chu Jai was a representative of the Hong Kong swimming team, but he laughed and said that he was not a representative of water skiing; so playing the star water skiing coach "Joe God" had certain difficulties, very different from the mentality of going for fun. "Going from the amateur mode to the professional mode specifically required focus. During the performance I need more expression management. In front of the camera I have to act very Chill and very relaxed, but inside my heart I was actually very nervous." Renci agreed, "Normally I am only chasing targets and techniques while wakesurfing, but during the shoot because of the weight of the machines the wave had a cave in spot in front. I had to mind the expression to be beautiful, but also be afraid of falling in." As an amateur she felt more and more guilty and scared as the shoot went on. "I remember during the half a year between training to the official shoot, the weather got cold and hot. I have been in the ice cold seawater, as well as under the blazing day all the day. My tan couldn't be any darker. Later when I made NIGHT KING (YEH WONG) I was very afraid that I would be the darkest one among the girls. I believe the NIGHT KING behind the scene staff tuned my tan from dark to light." Renci and Chu Jai needed to double water ski, which was even more difficult. Because the two ships must move close to each other and in front, the waves caused by each other would also affect the other and made control even more difficult.

This time a large number of water skiing scenes were filmed every day from sunrise to sunset, and the actors were much more tanned under the blazing sun. Jeffrey joked that with a lot of the time under the sun, even the abdominal curves looked better. HE did not have to deliberately work out. Chu Jai already had to show off his muscles as soon as appeared. He himself was worried about not being fit enough, but after consultation with the director they thought that teaching water skiing did not necessarily require being very big; so he worked out as a part of the water skiing training. Regarding in the film his ways to win over the customers made him very popular, was he very popular with girls when he taught to swim in the past? Chu Jai smiled and said, "It was okay! In the past I taught swimming on and off, but not as commercialized as Joe God. Before when teaching swimming at the swimming club or some government swimming pool, I was a little friendlier and didn't need to please people in an exaggerated away like in the film. Before I taught five or six-year-old children so they were like playing in the water, but this time I have taught adults with ways to teach. Only the content was different, which was helpful for business." Renci was only featured in sports-style swimwear. She said that the focus of the role was to show the body when water skiing, especially focusing on subtle movements and expression management. She also believed that the audience's viewing angle of the film would not be limited to the actor's costume, but looking forward to seeing the presentation of water skiing skills even more.

Jeffrey was seriously injured during the filming. He recalled, "At the time we were shooting the close up shot of the boat operator while I continued to waterski in the back. Because in the shoot I was in the earliest stage I couldn't let go on the trope. When I held the rope and fell into the water, the rope strangled me for three or four seconds straight. Fortunately later I was able to grab the rope. After I got out of the water the staff immediately patched me up, and sent me to the hospital where I saw how horrific my condition was (marks left on his neck). I am so grateful that I am still here!" After the injury he rested for a month before returning to work to shoot the rest of the water scene. When he got back in the water he was traumatized. "I can't say that I wasn't scared at all. As soon as I let go off the rope, I would focus on the rope's position before performing. Indeed I was a little traumatized." Renci witnessed Jeffrey's injury. "It was really a critical moment of life and death. When I saw it I was very scared. At first I didn't know it would be so serious, but when I saw the marks on his neck my heart ached and worried that his cervical spine was injured. However he was lucky!"

Regarding the plot of the online public trial in the film, how would they face online criticism in real life? Jeffrey said that life was like a book that documented itself, with both advantages and disadvantages in it; when you discover a problem while reading, you should try to hard work and improve. After all self-examination would still be taken for granted, but those on the sidelines would have different views. Chu Jai pointed out that nowadays criticisms would be hard to avoid, the key lay in how to face negative voices -- if not handled well, it may cause more negative emotions; if it can be resolved, it can be transformed into positive energy. He stressed that since it would be inevitable, the only thing he could do was to control himself. Renci believed that any profession would be different strokes for different folks, handling all problems would be difficulty. We could only learn to coexist, because life still had to continue. Chu Jai also admitted that as an artist, he will inevitably be criticized, but he still could still accept it. "When I run into unhappiness, I would throw a tantrum at home and then I would be fine."

No comments:

Post a Comment