Friday, January 27, 2012

[2012.01.28] SAMMI CHENG RUNS TO SAVE LOUIS KOO

courtesy of singtao.com

courtesy of mingpao.com
courtesy of takungpao.com

Sammi Cheng Sau Man and Louis Koo Tin Lok's most memorable scene in ROMANCING IN THIN AIR (GO HOI BUT JI LUEN II) took place in 6 degrees below zero Celsius.  One ran while the other one drowned.  In the scene Sammi saw Koo Tin Lok from afar and thought her long lost husband returned home.  Seeing Goo Jai soaking in the spring, she immediately ran over, pulled him up and saved his life.

When they shot the scene in Shangri-La, the temperature was only six below zero.  For such an icy and snowy feel, director Johnnie To Kei Fung deliberately chose the coldest time to shoot in.  Sammi earlier in the shoot has already entered her character.  In this scene her emotions completely flooded out.  Sammi said, "Actually my first take already had a lot of explosiveness.  After that I already felt like I was going to collapse."  Finally the director still wanted Sammi to make ten more takes.  Poor Sammi had to run, cry, yell and pull Goo Jai from the hot spring.

Goo Jai did not have an easy time either because he had to wear layer after layer of clothing and soaked his entire body into the spring water.  Although that was a hot spring, with all the wet clothing Goo Jai was still fine in the hot spring.  As soon as he left it the feeling was unusually hard to take as it was frighteningly cold.  Actually he did not soak in the spring for long, instead Sammi took more time to drag him out of the spring.  He felt very chilly.  Goo Jai said, "Actually I really just let Sammi pull me, I had to play like I was completely unconscious.  I was heavy so Sammi had a very tough time.  With the hot spring I really didn't want her to drag me out.  However because I had to be face down in the water, if she didn't drag me up I couldn't breath.  I had mixed emotions throughout the scene!"  After the scene, the team wrapped them both up tight, brought them into the house and used all the heat pads and heaters for them to get warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment