Thursday, April 20, 2023

[2023.04.21] JOHNNIE TO URGES YOUNG FILMMAKERS TO BE RESPONSIBLE TO THE AUDIENCE

courtesy of on.cc


MIRROR's Tiger Yau and director Johnnie To attend the Fresh Wave International Short Film Festival press conference 

Tiger Yau poses with fans

The Lau Kwok Cheung directed, Angela Au starred short film SPACKED OUT would be this Fresh Wave's opening film
courtesy of mingpao.com

"Fresh Wave" chair Johnnie To Kei Fung, MIRROR member Tiger yesterday attended the 17th Fresh Wave International Short Film Festival press conference, drawing many "Little Tiger Team" (Tiger fans) to show their support and cheer for their idol. To Kei Fung said that he has not made a movie in 3 years. Lately he has been making additional shoots for a colleague and saw many new faces. Young people had a lively energy that was beyond any imagination, as a new era seemingly has appeared. He was happy that now Hong Kong viewers are supporting Hong Kong films and urged young people to be able to live up to the audience while making movies. Tiger directed his first short film TODAY'S SPECIAL and revealed that he became addicted. He would fight for more opportunities to make movies with the company.

To Kei Fung said that he has not made a movie in 3 years already. Recently he was helping a company colleague with an additional shoot and realized that the crew were strangers. "I have never seen them before, I don't know whether I am old, or perhaps I have a little distance from the film industry. However when I see the younger generation with lively energy that was beyond imagination, see so many new faces, it seems like a new era has appeared." He urged young filmmakers while making movies to live up to the audience. "In the past year, the Hong Kong film box office has been very bright. I don't know why, but I know Hong Kong viewers are very supportive of Hong Kong films. So the new generation has to remember, your bosses are the investors but the viewers." He said that he invited Tiger to direct the opening short film TODAY'S SPECIAL not because of his fame or a part of MIRROR, but he only hoped that "Fresh Wave" developments would have different elements. In the future he would invite different suitable choices in show business to shoot short films, so everyone would have even more exchanges and knowledge.

This time was Tiger's first time directing a short film, which starred captain Lokman Yeung, Anson Kong, Frankie Chan and Jeremy Lee and became the opening film. Tiger was asked why did he only invite 4 members to star? He joked, "I have to find members who have free time!" Earlier he directed a MIRROR music video. He said that they were drastically different. When asked what message would he like to bring out with the short film? He said, "I don't dare to say anything so noble, I made this short film out of selfishness. I put what I like and what I feel into it, so I put in Lokman (Yeung). I wasn't in the cast because I wanted to concentrate on directing." He pointed out that the production process was thrilling and the schedule was tight. He had to finish it in 4 days. Before hand he had to do a lot of homework. During the production he had to control people and events, he would give his work 70 points. "If I would have more time, I would have made it even better." How thrilling was it? He kept that a secret and asked the audience to go and watch it.

Tiger said that after completing this short film he was addicted. He has developed a heavy interest in behind the scene work. Would he try the feature film challenge? He said that if the opportunity would arise he of course would like to. Directing was fun and happy, so he would fight for it with the company. What kind of move would he like to make? He said, "I am searching, Sister Fa (Wong Wai Kwan) told me to prepare and write the script. When the opportunity would arrive, I would be able to start work immediately. (Would you ask other MIRROR members to perform?) We are now working WE 12 (12 GWAI DOH). If I would have the chance, I would shoot them standing up the weak and play heroic characters. (Would you take the opportunity to torture them?) I wouldn't need to, they would risk their own lives for the performance." Tiger revealed that earlier he dined with To Kei Fung, they chatted but he did not dare to ask him for advice. "I am afraid that the my question would be too low level and upset him. I have seen his work, my favorite was THE MISSION (CHEUNG FOR). (Would you learn from watching movies?) It's like you learn when you want to."

In addition, SPACKED OUT (MO YUN GA SAI), the film Lau Kwok Cheung directed 23 years ago would be this short film festival's opening film. Fresh Wave vice chair Shu Kei said that the film was not a hit and was almost the most neglected movie. Its method and style of depicting young people were very daring and very impactful, it would be able to give the new generation filmmakers a lot of revelation. As for this year's filmmaker in focus he would be the late director Chor Yuen. He received the Hong Kong Film Awards Professional Achievement and Lifetime Achievement Awards. Chor Yuen made over 120 films in his life, the only one in the Hong Kong film industry who span the new and old Cantonese film eras, Mandarin film monopoly era and the Hong Kong film golden age. He also kept setting trends, making film series, and was even the earliest Hong Kong director to accept the "baptism" of European art films.

No comments:

Post a Comment