Wednesday, August 31, 2022

[2022.09.01] VINCENT KOK: SUCCESSOR TO STEPHEN CHOW HAS YET TO BE SEEN


Maggie Cheung and Stephen Chow's classic comedic scene in ALL'S WELL ENDS WELL came from Vincent Kok

Vincent Kok is grateful to have help from many benefactors in his career, and feels duty bound to pass on the elders' lessons

Vincent Kok remembers spending time with Leslie Cheung on OKINAWA RENDEZVOUS

Vincent Kok worked with Tony Leung Chiu Wai for the first time on GORGEOUS and praised him for bringing Richie Jen into character

Vincent Kok says MIRROR's Edan Lui has no idol baggage, act without any regard and has a lot of potential

Vincent Kok worked with Sean Lau and producer Johnnie To on his directing debut
courtesy of mingpao.com

Vincent Kok Tak Chiu has been in the business for 30 years as a director, a screenwriter, an actor and a host. At the time when he was still new, he received lessons and assistance from the elders. He also caught the eyes of many red hot actors, from which he had many stories that few knew bout; so far many new comers saw him as an elder in the business, Kok Tak Siu admitted that he had an extra sense of responsibility. Like when he produced the ViuTV program THE POPCORN SHOW, aside from giving new comers opportunities as his guests he also tirelessly encouraged them. He only wanted to pass on the lessons the elders taught him.

THE POPCORN SHOW already aired two seasons and invited many new comers as guests. Kok Tak Siu joked, "MIRROR, ERROR, COLLAR, and others, I have to meet and get to know each one, which was very time consuming." Which new comers left the deepest impression? He said, "When I make a comedy, I especially appreciate people who can let loose. I already saw several who could play comedy. 193 (Derek Kwok Ka Chun) is a very interesting person; before hand I already knew Edan (Lui Cheuk On) was very open and had no idol baggage. Actually it was true, he's pretty fun." On the program he often encouraged new comers. He said, "When I see that they are worth encouraging then I encourage them. I am not too old, of course I am not young either. However I have accepted many elders' advice and felt that it was my responsibility to pass them to a group of young people. Because of the elders' teachings, I indeed took a lot less detours."

Kok Tak Chiu was grateful that he often had help from benefactors in show business, including the mentor who brought him into the business Clifton Ko Chi Sum, Johnnie To Kei Fung who made him a director for the first time, James Wong Jim who was extremely thoughtful with the younger generation, Wong Jing who gave him the opportunity to intern, and others. Kok Tak Siu after graduating from the university immediately became Ko Chi Sum's disciple, starting from screenwriting. He said, "When I was studying at the university in Vancouver I never thought of working in this business. At the time Director Ko Chi Sum was shoot IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD II (FU GWAI JOI BIK YUN) on location. I went to visit the set. In the end for the entire semester I stayed on the set. Master taught me about screenwriting and writing scripts."

Kok Tak Chiu described To Sir as indeed mean, but not unreasonably mean. "As long as you worked hard and put in an effort, even if you did something wrong To Sir would not be mean. My first time as a director, To Sir almost held my hand and taught me how." He said that the most memorable was receiving several books from elder Uncle Jim, the books were filled with notes that Uncle Jim felt was very suitable for me to use. They were very valuable. He gratefully said, "Uncle Jim taught me a lot of things that I am still using now. If someone asks me, of course I would share them. However as Uncle Jim said, if the timing wasn't right others wouldn't be able to heart you no matter what."

In 1992 as the screenwriter for the film ALL'S WELL ENDS WELL (GA YAU HEI SI), which Kok Tak Chiu said absolutely was an important experience. Aside from letting him know his value, after facing a group of superstars in the film he was not afraid of working with anyone. He said, "I mainly followed the plot between (Stephen) Chow Sing Chi and (Maggie) Cheung Man Yuk, (Leslie) Cheung Kwok Wing and (Teresa) Mo Shun Kwan learned that we had a lot of fun and very outrageous so they always pulled me aside and asked me what we were doing. Later they realized that most direct way was to buy me food. I would automatically go over and chat and help with ideas for their plot. Later (Sandra) Ng Kwan Yu also used this method."

Speaking of Gor Gor, Kok Tak Chiu found his days of working with him on OKINAWA RENDEZVOUS (LUEN JIN CHUNG SING) unforgettable. He told the story about the song ME. "One day I read 'I am what I am, I am a special kind of creation.' I told Gor Gor that those words described him very well. Gor Gor also thought they were very interesting. Awhile later he told me that he said those words to Lam Jik, who wrote this song ME; each time I hear this song I would think of how this song started and make me feel proud."

Kok Tak Chiu and Chow Sing Chi for a period worked together nonstop, he said that the audience would not seen the joy between them. Each time they came up with ideas, they on average would have to come up with 20 -- 19 of which the public would never see but they would always perform it once. While working on FORBIDDEN CITY COP (DAI NOI MUK TAM LING LING FAT), Carina Lau Ka Ling knew that they were rehearsing. Before she even finished with make up she could not help but come to watch what they were doing. Kok Tak Chiu said, "I have watched many Chow Sing Chi performances that no one would see. Working with him was quite the pleasure, I still have yet to see an actor like him." Chow Sing Chi gave people the impression that he was difficult to get along with, Kok Tak Chiu described his relationship with him as both a teacher and a friend. They once saw each other all the time, once we frequently saw each other. they even went on vacation every year together for awhile. He said, "I taught Chow Sing Chi how to ski. I taught in the morning, by the afternoon he already skied better than me because he was very agile."

In 1999 he worked with Best Actor Tony Leung Chiu Wai for the first time on the film GORGEOUS (BOR LEI JUNG). Kok Tak Chiu said that being the film's director was the happiest thing in the world. He said, "Although through the company we discussed working together for a long time, but when Wai Jai agreed to perform I really was very happy. He was on time and memorized the script; in one scene Yam Yin Chai (Richie Jen) was drinking, at the time Siu Chai was rather new. Wai Jai was not only able to play his role but also able to make Siu Chai meet my demands. He was very sharp. He was even able to take care those around him." Luckily he worked with Wai Jai again on the film MY LUCKY STAR (HUNG WON CHIU YUN), ran into Ronald Cheng Chung Kei and witnessed him bringing the role of "Duen Hai" to life. He joked, "When I asked Cheng Chung Kei to play a woman, for him it wasn't difficult at all. He grew up overseas, he actually had the rhythm of a black woman; between us we had a lot of chemistry. As soon as I said it, he knew what he had to do. As soon as he played, I knew it would be right."

Looking back at 30 years of exciting silver journey, Kok Tak Chiu said that he was very grateful that many actors gave him opportunities and felt that everyone was talented and enabled him to have a chance to learn from them. He said, "I have never seen successful people being half assed, the reason is definite. Even if you really feel half assed, it's because they very successfully made you feel half assed." He also advised new comers, "I feel that you have to be original, not to resemble anyone at all. Be the one and only, irreplaceable in order to be valuable. If not, you would just be one of many."

The 57 year old Kok Tak Chiu was a film director, a screenwriter, an actor and a host. When he studied at the university in Canada he majored in broadcasting and minored in economics. After graduation he followed director Ko Chi Sum in behind the scenes work like screenwriting. He mainly created comedy films and had many opportunities to work with Chow Sing Chi. He also performed on screen.

Screenplays that Kok Tak Siu participated in included ALL'S WELL ENDS WELL, THE FLIRTING SCHOLAR, LOVE ON DELIVERY, FROM CHINA WITH LOVE, FORBIDDEN CITY COP, GOD OF COOKERY, CJ7 and others. Film that he directed included ONLY FOOLS FALL IN LOVE (OI LO BAI SAU), CAUSE WE ARE SO YOUNG (KAU LUEN KEI), GORGEOUS (BOR LEI JUNG), MARRY A RICH MAN (GA GOR YAU CHIN YUN), AND MY LUCKY STAR (HUNG WON CHIU YUN). Once a Commercial Radio program host, he also worked as a host on television. Starting January this year he hosts the ViuTV program THE POPCORN SHOW and interviewed many on and off screen talent.

No comments:

Post a Comment