Tuesday, July 16, 2013

[2013.07.17] EDDIE LAU BREAKS DOWN TWICE WHILE REMEMBERING ANITA MUI




courtesy of on.cc
courtesy of singtao.com
Eddie Lau greets Pak Suet Sin with a kiss
Eddie Lau's favorite is one of his final designs for Anita Mui, a white bridal gown
Many Anita Mui costumes are on display, including this one from the FIERY RED LIPS record cover
Eddie Lau recalls Anita Mui once jokingly said this dress weighed 80 pounds, the museum confirmed it only weighed 22.5 pounds
Liza Wang, Petrina Fung, Denise Ho
Sammi Cheng ditches Andy Hui for a photo with Ann Hui (left), Johnnie To, Connie Chan and Mandy Mui
Andy Hui has always seen Eddie Lau and Anita Mui as his benefactors
Zhou Xun
Hilary Tsui, Wyman Wong
courtesy of mingpao.com

This year is the 10th anniversary of Anita Mui Yim Fong's passing. Design master Eddie Lau Pui Kei who has worked with her countless times remembered this song queen of a generation with an exhibit of 70 pieces of his work, including 20 some stage costumes of Mui Yim Fong. The exhibit yesterday held an opening ceremony. Chief Secretary for Administration Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet Ngor, former Director of Broadcasting Cheung Man Yee, Pak Suet Sin, Mandy Mui Suet Sze, Connie Chan Bo Chu, Petrina Fung Bo Bo, Liza Wang Ming Chuen, Jenny Lam Yin Nei, Zhou Xun, Hilary Tsui Ho Ying, Wyman Wong Wai Man, Andy Hui Chi On, Sammi Cheng Sau Man, Denise Ho Wan Si were among the guests. As soon as Lau Pui Kei saw Pak Suet Sin he immediately gave her a kiss.

When Lau Pui Kei recalled his past with Mui Yim Fong he broke down twice. He said that he met Mui Yim Fong on July 18 1982 at the New Talent contest. Since then their collaborations shocked the 80s. He tearfully said, "Over the years I only designed Mui Yim Fong's image, I only made stage costumes for others. I only admit to the chameleon Mui Yim Fong!" No Mui Yim Fong memorial concert will take place this year. Lau Pui Kei did not feel any regret as he felt that no one would be able to sing the Mui Yim Fong flavor. He stressed, "She was someone of love and honor, everyone can dislike her but no one can question her character! I never expect her to write such a will, which left me very dejected!" He again broke down. "I don't have any family, I grew up alone. I never expected a will would give me a relative!" At this time, Mui Yim Fong's ROUGE (YIN JI KAU) was played. He and Ho Wan Si both broke down when they heard the song. Lau Pui Kei said, "Many people asked if I was reluctant to leave the performance costumes with the museum? I wasn't. The person who loved me the most have already left me, the museum would maintain them even better than I would." His favorite Mui Yim Fong piece was the bridal gown from the final concert. Lau Pui Kei said, "A multitalented women, why would no one love her? Why did she have to marry the stage?"

Ho Wan Si helped as a worker and greeted guests. She said that this exhibit was very meaningful on the 10th anniversary of Mui Yim Fong's passing. She said, "Lau Pui Kei and Sister Mui have battled shoulder to shoulder for years. His work has Sister Mui, Sister Mui's work also has Lau Pui Kei. This is the best way to remember her." Ho Wan Si revealed that she has already seen the exhibit two days ago and thought it was very shocking. She explained, "I have been a crazy Sister Mui fan since I was little, I knew her records, songs and costumes like the back of my hand. Yesterday when I saw the EVIL WOMAN costume that I was only able to see on television screens before, I was very shocked and emotional! When I saw the wedding gown that Sister Mui wore at her final concert, and Lau Pui Kei used the same fabric to make CONTINUATION OF LOVE for me and put it behind it, I already couldn't hold back my tears. (Was Mother Mui invited?) The organizers and Lau Pui Kei organized the guest list, I was just a little assistant. Today has many important guests, everyone should put the focus on them please!"

Hui Chi On and Cheng Sau Man were on hand, avoided each other and kept their distance. Hui Chi On stressed, "Today's focus definitely can't be stolen. The focus is on Mui Yim Fong and Lau Pui Kei. They have been my benefactors since I started in the business! Lau Pui Kei took me to shop for me first record cover. 25 years later today it still is a masterpiece of brown double collar suit jacket that is worth HK$16,000. I was reluctant when I borrowed several months of salary from the company to buy it. Mui Yim Fong gave me a lot of opportunities. Back then she often asked the company to release a record for me, which made me into today's Hui Chi On."

The exhibit not only displayed Mui Yim Fong's stage costumes but also Lau Pui Kei's designs for Lam Yin Nei, Pak Suet Sin, Michelle Yeoh (Yeung Chi King), Ho Wan Si, Roman Tam (Law Man), William So Wing Hong, and Wang Ming Chuen. Wang Ming Chuen loaned the Lau Pui Kei 1981 design of golden fan shaped evening gown to the exhibit. She said that she was the first generation artist who asked Lau Pui Kei to design concert costumes. The first time she performed at Lee's Theater she asked him to design four costumes. She said, "My early record covers were all his designs. He was forward but not 'outrageous', he was able to bring out the artist's aura." Would she invite Lau Pui Kei to work together again? Wang Ming Chuen joked that he now only works with brand name labels. Perhaps only Ho Wan Si would be able to bring him out of retirement.

No comments:

Post a Comment