Wednesday, March 12, 2014

[2014.03.13] STAR CLASS COLUMN: ON THE SET I AM INDEED VERY STRICT

As an action director I often demonstrate the martial art scenes personally on the set
On the set I am very strict, but after work I am just a part of the team
courtesy of mingpao.com

The film THE MONKEY KING (SAI YAU GEI ji DAI LAU TIN GUNG) made over 1.1 billion at the Mainland box office, many industry and media friends congratulated me. Earlier before the film release, everyone was already talking about the expected box office. As the star and the action director, I inevitably had some pressure. However I kept telling myself to face it normally. Everyone in the cast and the crew deserved credit for the success of a film. It was about team spirit and co-workers were also very important. I was able to work with excellent actors like Fat Gor and Sing Sing to be able to achieve such a good performance.

I put a lot of effort into studying and interpreting the character of Sun Wukong, the outsider also gave me a lot of confirmation. I felt that I have answered to myself. Lately the media kept asking if I would make a sequel, I really haven't made a decision yet. Aside from considering how difficult the production would be, would the sequel have any more room for a breakthrough? This is that I am the most concerned with. Let it be, it is still too early to make a decision now.

THE MONKEY KING was not only talked about due to its box office, but also Fat Gor jokingly asking me to lower my temper a little at the Beijing press conference also became a media report focus. I respect Fat Gor very much as an actor. His sense of humor and sudden improvisation often bring everyone a lot of joy. Later at the celebration banquet, Fat Gor again dropped comedy bombs and clarified that his earlier comments were just speculation. Completely because of his speculation the box office went over 1 billion.

Serious at work on the set, I am indeed very different personally with how friendly I am. As an action director I have to protect actors' lives and safety. The set has a lot of potential for danger, especially with an action film. If I am not strict in command, I cannot control the scene and maintain order, chaos and even casualties and deaths would very easily appear. For example while shooting THE MONKEY KING the team imported a 360 degree tumbling "kung fu ring". After completing a dramatic scene in Studio A, I went to Studio B to observe the Chang E in flight scene. I realized that the team wanted Gigi Leung Wing Kei to personally perform the stunt, I very angrily asked for a double immediately and scolded the team for lacking the ability to make a decision. I did not expect that the double after a short while got dizzy, fainted and had to be immediately send to the hospital. If I did not make the change at the time, the actor would have been the one who was injured.

Whether working on camera or behind the scene, I always remain aggressive and maintain the fire inside. I have the desire to do even better. A film production has a lot of interpersonal relationships to handle, everyone's thinking and values are different. They need time to engage. My emotional quotient also continues to grow with age. Making a movie that does not perform too ideals at the box office may not necessarily be a bad thing, because a setback would make the next film even better. At the same time I would also be mentally prepared to face reasonable and unreasonable criticism and maintain an open heart.

- DONNIE YEN CHI TAN

No comments:

Post a Comment