Saturday, March 27, 2021

[2021.03.28] SIMON YAM PLANS TO DIRECT


Simon Yam Tat Wa and Eddie Cheung Siu Fai teamed up again and often exchanged fatherhood tips. Yam Tat Wa played a part time cinematographer and captured his friend's "handsome side". He stated that currently he was preparing a script for his daughter Ella to be the lead actress.

Yam Tat Wa and Cheung Siu Fai earlier worked together on films FATAL MOVE (DUET Shui) and COLOR OF THE GAME (HAK BAK MAI GUNG) and became friends. Years later they reunited for the new suspense film A MURDER ERASED (BEI SIU SUK DIK HUNG ONG). Earlier the cast and the crew were found on location in Lai Chi Kok. In the story Cheung Siu Fai outside the detention center ran into Yam Tat Wa and Joe Junior. Yam Tat Wa's directing bug acted up as he personally shot Cheung Siu Fai's scene.

Yam Tat Wa said that his dream to direct remained, as he has already begun to choose a script. "Last time with TALES FROM THE DARK (MAI LEI YEH) I only directed one of the stories. I haven't tried to make a full length feature. I really want to try to be the cinematographer too, and make some stories with rich Hong Kong color. (Which actor would you like to work with?) My daughter, she knows English, Cantonese and Putonghua. She isn't different from young people now, she is very suitable. (Did you ask your wife?) Not yet, but she shouldn't have any problem with my movies. (Would you permit your daughter to join the business?) Not yet, for now she can just pose for magazines first!"

The cast and the crew took the full pandemic prevention precaution, but actors did not want the mask and smear their make up. The team used tissue to make "masks". Cheung Siu Fai said, "If we just wear the masks, the ear loops would very easily scratch the foundation and the marks wouldn't disappear for a long time. No matter what it would affect the production. Now we easily resolved that problem!"

He and Yam Tat Wa chatted nonstop, actually they were talking about parenthood. "The pandemic had an unexpected bonus. My daughter stayed in Hong Kong. Right now although I am busy with the film, I can go home no matter what, have dinner with her. My daughter would go to class online until midnight, but she would get up with me at 5:30 AM and run with me and my wife. Everyone fought for family time. I hope that after she grew up she would always be around us!"

No comments:

Post a Comment